An Empty Stage

"Ultimately, this design makes sure sound travels the best and clearest it can with little unwanted echoing. The seating arrangements also provide ideal viewing no matter where one is." Baldur explained, waving his hands around us at the floor seating before also waving at the gilded railings of the boxes in the balconies. I followed his gestures, still taking in the grandeur of the auditorium. Baldur chuckled again before smiling amiably at his compatriot, "Of course, without Lord Bragi's knowledge of the theatre, I could not have constructed such a masterpiece perfectly designed to heighten the beauty of song, dance, and drama."

Bragi nodded at Lord Baldur, accepting the praise. Turned to the man in maroon, still curious about him, "Are you an architect as well, Lord Bragi?"

Baldur shook his head, answering me in Bragi's place, "While I have been striving to build this fine palace for the arts, Lord Bragi has been working on devising the performances that will fill it with life."

"I shall be a kind of director for this theater." Bragi cleared up for me, giving me a charming smile as he smiled at the grand house of the arts he would be ruling, "Currently, I am putting together the performance for the theater's opening night where all of Asgard's elite shall gather for the extravaganza. It has been too long since the arts have had a spotlight in Asgard, so the first night must be a fantasia of the art of the realm."

"I agree." Odin-Loki said in response to Bragi's social commentary, "War and military might has had its height, now it is time to return to the pursuits of beauty that can be afforded in times of peace. The queen was a sponsor and curator of the arts and I intend to have her efforts continued."

"Your patronage of the theater is much appreciated, Allfather. Nothing quite so grand could have been constructed without your support." Lord Baldur said with a tone of gratitude and deference, bowing his head to the king.

"It is grand! This place is... fantastic! I've never seen a theater this gorgeous!" I piped up, tearing my gaze from the artistry surrounding me.

Lord Bragi ran an appraising eye over me, intrigued by my eager burst, "Are you an enthusiast of the arts as well, my lady?"

"Oh, uh, yeah... back on earth my grandma and I loved going to see musicals and plays and stuff like that!"

"Musicals?" Lord Bragi's brows furrowed, not understanding my meaning. I guess Asgard's musicals were operas and the like.

The Allfather spoke up before I could start my jumbled explanation of musicals, saving me from babbling and confusing the cultured lord even more, "It is because of her love of the arts that I have promised my companion here that she may enjoy as many performances as she desires."

"Will you be filling the king's box on our opening night, then, Allfather?" Lord Bragi seemed very pleased at the prospective attendance of Asgard's ruler at the first performance. He waved up at a particularly large box with one of the best views of the stage, "It would be a great honor to have you in our audience, especially since you are our patron!"

"We would not miss it." Odin replied smoothly.

"Really?" I whipped my head about to face him, excitement bubbling up in me again. Opening night? From the sounds of it, the opening night would be nothing short of astounding! Odin-Loki grinned down at me, nodding. In my joy at the idea of seeing the grand production I wanted to kiss him so bad, but I knew that I couldn't, not with the two lords' attentions on us. Besides that, he still had on the illusion of the Allfather, so it would be super weird for me to kiss him when he looked like his elderly adopted father!

"My king, Lord Bragi and I do have a few more technical matters to speak with you about. Would you follow us to the office?" Baldur addressed the king, getting back down to business.