23

Zaib

The room got quiet as everyone began to fill up their plates. The fathers would gradually joke around and laugh but the mothers seemed to have drifted into an awkward relationship. They were hesitant to speak or even share a glance. Naimat and Ehsan were having a great time communicating with whispers and texts.

Zaib, well he was busy stealing glances.

He didn't want to scare her but he couldn't help it. Nothing made itself more apparent than the petite woman sitting before him, eating soundlessly. In a room crammed with people, his consciousness only took heed of her as if others were in a separated world.

"Ehsan, when have you decided to marry our beautiful daughter Naimat?" Zoya's father inquired as Naimat looked away shyly. Ehsan chuckled, a sense of happiness filling up his voice. "Whenever she's ready uncle, Insha Allah."

Zaib smiled. "It looks like she's ready right about now Ehsan," he joked causing Ehsan to stare right at her as Bilal and Zain laughed.

"No it looks like brother Ehsan's the eager one." He looked away at the sound of a voice he knew too well. Everyone laughed at Zoya's remark but Zaib spent his moment surveying the way her eyes warmed up and twinkled for the people around her as if she'd loved them more than herself.

"I am actually. I've talked to my parents and Naimat's. We've decided to do the engagement the coming week Insha Allah."

"Insha Allah, that'll be great."

"The food's amazing!" Zayna squealed. To which Zoya's mother patted Zayna's head and kissed her forehead.

"Yes, the food is delicious Mariam," his mother finally declared easing the tense aura around them. Zoya's mother sparked up a conversation and soon they were chatting the night away.

"You really have no self respect. What're you doing here again bro," Bilal muttered to Zaib, causing for him to start chuckling. "Yeah you're right." Zaib told him.

"Or maybe I just like your sister more than my self respect," he completed. It was the truth yet it made Bilal quiet down as he eyed Zaib.

"The lasagna is delicious," he announced. Zoya's mother giggled before answering, "its Zoya's recipes after all."

Zoya shifted in her seat and accidentally met eyes with him. When he looked into her clear blue gaze, his body felt electrified and it reminded him of why he wanted to keep looking at her in the first place.

He gulped the bite of lasagna down and smiled at his sister devouring the custard. She had barely eaten any food, her excitement for the dessert untamable.

"Zoya, do you like our son?" Zaib choked on thin air, eyes widening as he gulped in mouthful of water. His father eyed him with a smile and looked to where Zoya sat flushed.

She looked flustered. Her cheeks were redder than strawberries and her eyes larger than his.

"Come on, don't be shy!" Naimat hissed from the side and Zoya lowered herself within her chair. She appeared to be wishing she buried herself within the ground.

She was cute, adorable.

"Uh—" she stammered. "I like your family uncle and— I, well, I want to finalize this proposal—"