25 | Lesson Number Two

Chapter 25 | Lesson Number Two

• • •

        "Yo, real talk. I think I might have to trap a nigga just so I ain't gotta deal with my cycle for a minute," Xo groans from her place at the foot of my bed where she lay outstretched like a starfish. "These cramps is wildin'."

        I sit up on my elbows to peer down at her, hopeful. "If they really that bad we can just chill at the crib for the day. We don't have to go out."

        In the three days that Xo has been in town, not one of them has passed without her pushing me to pay Sheila another visit. When we had the conversation about me going to see her again, I thought it was just us saying shit just to say it like we always did. I didn't expect her to actually make me go through with it.

        "Nah, hoe. You ain't slick. You don't care about my damn cramps, you just don't wanna go see Aunt Sheila. But like I said earlier, we going even if I gotta drug and drag yo ass to get you over there."

        I roll over to my side to grab my phone from the nightstand. I check the time and close my eyes biting back a groan. A little over an hour left until Sheila expects to see me on her doorstep.

        "We don't even have a ride." I stretch my arms out above my head. "And you better not suggest no damn uber."

        She kisses her teeth. "Unclench, girl. I already got it handled."

        Twisting at the waist, I squint at her all spread out – arms crossed over her face, legs bent at the knees. "Handled how? Because neither one of us got a car and Mr. Paul and Ms. Corrine are at work."

        Chuckling to herself, she drops her arms to her sides and locks eyes with me. Then, with a loud grunt, she sits up and scoots to the edge of the bed beside me.

        "Lesson number one: never leave your phone unattended and unlocked when I'm around. Like, are you dumb? There ain't no telling what I might get into. Lesson number two: never assume that I won't go through the shit when you in the bathroom. Because I will and I did."

        She wiggles her eyebrows and slaps a hand onto my thigh.

        "Your mans will be here in about thirty minutes to take us over there. Seemed mad eager to see you too which makes me wonder if you put it on him in that supply closet like I told you to."

        Annoyance, shock, and a wink of anticipation flare inside me, and I don't know which to express first. All I do is huff.

        Truthfully, I'm more mad at her for snooping through my things than for calling Vino. I haven't been to work since she got in town and I miss having him as a regular part of my days. He didn't let my absence stop him from texting me hourly updates on Trina's antics and Rondo's micromanaging.

        "I hate you." I close my eyes and plop back onto the bed. "And I'm not riding in the front so don't pull no funny shit when he get here."

        She lays on her side, props her head on her hand and grins. The sleeve of the hoodie she's wearing sags around her forearm and she hurriedly readjusts it.

        "Yeah, yeah, yeah. Whatever. Just gimme the details hoe cause I know y'all ain't just been playing patty cake all this time."

        She grips the fabric of the sleeve firmly in her palm and I shift my focus to the stitching in my comforter.