34 | Yes or No

Chapter 34 | Yes or No

• • •

        "Hey, can I talk to you real quick?"

        I stop Liam on his way back to the kitchen to put an order in with Ichee. Rachel had called out last minute and asked him to cover her shift so now he's working double time to juggle her job and his. He stuffs his notepad in the front pocket of his apron and turns to me crossing his arms over his chest.

        "Always. What's up?"

        I rub my shoulder and clear my throat. "I don't think I ever thanked you for talking me up to Rondo and Miss Doll a few weeks back."

        "Oh, for sure. Don't mention it. It's not like I said anything that wasn't true. You were doing great and you deserved the promotion," he says with an easy smile.

        "Still. I appreciate it."

        "No worries, Keila." He pulls out his notepad and turns to walk away. With one hand poised on the double doors, he hesitates and glances back at me. "We're cool, right? I mean, after the – "

        "We're good, dude."

        His eyebrows crease. "You sure?"

        "Yeah, I'm sure."

        "Bet," he says and bobs his head. Tension melts from his shoulders. "If you ever need anything just holler at me, okay? I can be your token white homie."

         He holds out his fist. I chuckle and bump my fist against his. "Yeah, I'll keep that in mind."

        With a playful wink he disappears behind the doors and I feel lighter than I have in a while.

        "Please don't tell me my boy Liam tryna push up on you," Vino sighs and leans against the bar.

        "Nah, we were just talking."

        "Mmhm." He reaches underneath the bar for an empty bin, maintaining eye contact the whole way down and back up. "I need to beat his ass?"

        "Boy, shut up," I chuckle and roll my eyes. "You ain't about to do nothing to nobody."

        "Think I won't when I will. I put in too much work to get snaked in the fourth quarter," he jokes and tucks the bin under his arm.

        Choosing to ignore his comment, I press the button to start a fresh pot of coffee. "Isn't there something you could be doing besides standing here minding my business or do I need to sic Rondo on yo ass?"

        He cocks his head to the side. "It must make you feel good to act like you don't be wanting my attention because you stay doing it."

        "And who said I was acting?" I ask and cross my arms.

        "You," he laughs. "Every time you try to act mad when you really be wanting to laugh, rolling your eyes and shit. Faking attitudes like somebody supposed to believe you."

        Just as fast as I open my mouth to deny his claims, I close it when I realize the truth behind them. I kiss my teeth. "Whatever, bruh," I say and remove the coffee pot.

        "Yeah, that's what I thought." He takes a step toward me. "I got a question for you though."

        He's looking down at me, standing close enough for me to catch a whiff of his cologne mixing with the typical foody smell of Dolly's.