Sleeping

Brett hadn't had much to drink that evening, just enough to feel it affect his balance and his thought process ever so slightly. It was probably for the best. He couldn't stop thinking about how Eddy was home alone, hopefully sleeping or watching a movie or something. It was getting late, way past midnight. He hadn't planned on staying out this long, but things happened and all of a sudden he had been out for hours longer than intended. He didn't know yet how much he would regret that descision.

He was careful to open the door silently when he came home as waking Eddy would be a bad idea if he had managed to fall asleep. He shut the door as quietly as possible behind him and peeked into the living room. Eddy was lying on the couch with his back towards the door, sleeping. Good, no need to wake him. Sure, his back would hurt from lying on the couch, but at least he'd get some proper sleep. Brett went around the room to switch off the lights as quietly as his slightly intoxicated self was able to. Before switching off the last light he took a blanket and carefully put it over Eddy so he wouldn't wake up all cold. He looked peaceful sleeping in his hoodie and sweatpants, more peaceful than he had been in a long time. Brett went over to the last lamp, blew Eddy a drunken kiss, and flipped the switch on it before heading towards his bedroom to get some sleep himself.

When Brett woke up the next morning, it was quiet. The only sound he could hear was his own breathing and the rustling of his bedsheets as he moved to grab his glasses from the bedside table. He put them on and checked the time on his phone. It was pretty early for Brett to wake up, but the light peeking through the curtains made it hard to sleep once he had started moving. He felt the need to begin the day, and decided to surprise Eddy with some breakfast for when he woke up. The rustling of the bedsheets became louder when he sat up on the edge of his bed. He listened carefully to the sounds in and outside the house for a moment. He could make out the faint C sharp humming from the fridge inside the house as the only sound. Outside he heard police sirens in the distance as well as a dog barking. The sounds were far too faint to wake Eddy, which Brett though was good. He needed the sleep.

He sneaked into the kitchen and tried to make as little sound as possible when frying up eggs and bacon. It felt a bit cliché to cook that for him, but it was easy and Brett could actually make it taste alright. Not too much salt on the eggs, as the bacon already was salty. Eddy didn't like too salty food. Brett felt a bit bad for leaving him home alone the night before. He hoped to make it up with the food and it showed on the cooking. Even on how he plated it, how he even found some candles to decorate the table for the breakfast. The entire thing felt a bit cliché, but after the talk they had in the beginning of the week about Eddy's little secret they had decided to just take things as they came. Cooking for someone he cared about just came naturally to Brett.
After a few moments of correcting how the plates were sat on the table and lighting the candles he eagerly went to wake the sleeping beauty for the special breakfast.