30; love

I WANT YOU TO
BE HAPPY AGAIN

 ❝ I WANT YOU TOBE HAPPY AGAIN ❞

I was sprawled on my couch, head curled into the corner of the cushions as I gripped the book tightly in my hands. I was only one chapter in, already forgotten the title, but it didn't matter much to me anyway. I'd been having trouble finding good books recently. The ones where I would reach the last page, unable to pull my eyes from the paper, and have an overwhelming feeling of desolation cross over my body as I read the last word.

I missed that feeling. As much as it could upset me, it was also quite comforting. It was always Hanson who recommended the best reads. He'd never give me the book I had in my hands then. It was as if I had read the same plot a million times over. However, Hanson was gone, and so was his store full of books.

I threw the three hundred and something page book down on the coffee table, creating a thud. I knew I wouldn't finish it. I hadn't finished a single book since Hanson died. I couldn't keep my attention on something so insignificant for a long period of time. I would be a couple of pages in and he'd flash through my mind, making me close the pages to collect my thoughts. It was funny to me how such good memories could cause me so much pain.

A pair of feet came running down the stairs, somewhat frantic and stopped at the bottom step. Steve, with his hair gelled back and a white shirt tucked into his black jeans, ran a comb through his locks. He gave me a nervous smile and gestured to himself.

"I look okay?" He asked.

I tried my best not to let out a tiny laugh. "Give me a spin."

He shot me a mean look. "Shut it."

"I'm joking," I said, holding my hands up in defense, "you look great. You going out with Evie or something?"

He nodded his head, opening the fridge door and shutting it after shoving an apple in his mouth. He took a bite into it, chomping down.

"Yeah, with Soda and Sandy too."

I nodded my head, picking up the book and fiddling with it. "Well, I hope you have fun. I'll be here," I said, emitting what could barely be a sigh, "with my book."

"Looks like a good book." He didn't spare it a glance.

I mumbled in agreement, tossing it back on the ground, and threw my head over the armrest of the couch. I supposed if I wanted something to do I could've gone with them, and brought Dallas, but Dallas wasn't a double or triple date kinda guy. Steve didn't like us together all that much, either, and I didn't want to put either of them in that position.

Just as Steve was slipping on his shoes there was a heavy knock at the door. I shot Steve a smirk.

"Evie picking you up this time? What a gentleman."