Four

cliffhangers are awful <3

•••

Skylar's POV

"Ms Anderson, are you sure you saw a person breaking into your house?" The tall police officer asked me.

I swallowed, wrapping my arms around myself. If it weren't for that intimidating gaze of his, I probably might have not stuttered.

"Y-Yes. I saw...I mean, I didn't see anybody. But my bedroom, everything was trashed. And there was this...these words written on that wall mirror."

I looked over at the same mirror and so did the police officer. There were no words written on it. My room wasn't trashed either.

Everything seemed so perfectly fine.

Oh God, I thought. Why was this happening to me?

The officer, who looked kind of irritated by now, turned around and looked across my room once again. Probably searching for any source of forced entry. There was nothing.

The other police officer, a woman who seemed a lot less scary than the man in front of me, came out of Nova's bedroom and looked at me.

"There's no such proof of a break-in, ma'am. Not a single thing you've been saying. I'm afraid you must've...mistaken it." She raised her brows at me.

Mistaken it.

How could I have fucking mistaken it when my whole bedroom had been trashed right before my own eyes?

And I don't mean trashed in a way it usually is (thanks to my untidiness). No, it wasn't just that. My room had been a mess. Every book from my shelf was thrown across. The stacks of my canvases were disrupted. The pillows were on the floor. My wardrobe was open and my clothes were everywhere.

I'd seen all that the moment I came back to my apartment. It had already been a long tiring day out at Mrs Marshall's flower shop downtown. She happily took care of Chicken sometimes and I helped her out at her shop to repay her favour.

I'd been doing just that until I came back home.

I even got a call from Mom on my way back. Everything had been so fine.

"So?" Mom asked over the phone. "Will you be coming over on the weekend?"

"You guys are staying?" I suppose it still surprised me to find my parents not so busy on their business trips these days.

"We are." She said. "It's been so long since we did one of those family get-togethers, don't you think? I might even invite some of your aunties and uncles."

She sounded fucking excited at that. I didn't even bother holding back a groan.

Mom laughed at that. "You'd have fun, Skylar. Don't be such a buzzkill."

"Um, okay?" I rolled my eyes. "I don't know about you, Mom, but all those aunties and uncles creep the fuck out of me."

Mom sighed. I suppose she really wanted me there at that get-together since she didn't say anything about my foul language.

"I'm sure Chicken would love to visit." She wasn't wrong. "And you can see Caden too?

Well, she got me at that.