Ten

Skylar's POV

My life was absurdly going fine. Without any interruptions from a creepy hooded stalker. Without any threats. Without anything, actually. I laid down one night and thought wow, this is what normal feels like. Which I guess, unfortunately, was a massive jinx moment. Because since when had my life ever been normal?

Since almost never. My life had a thing for getting absurd as much as my choice of clothes these days--at least according to my roommate, Nova.

"You're not going to Mrs Marshall's shop wearing that, are you?" She asked me this morning, looking rather concerned for someone who'd just woken up.

"No." I smiled at her because I was nice that way, glancing down at the red coat that I was currently putting on over my black top. "I'm rather conscious of her dog now, no thanks to you."

She waved her hand at me, dismissive or noncommittal, or maybe even both.

"Where's your...um brother?" I asked her, looking around our tiny little apartment in search of Kyle.

"Crashing at a friend's."

Weird, I thought. Chicken came running towards me and nudged her ear against my leggings. I bent down to give her a pet.

Later that day, I met up with Alex and we took a nice little stroll downtown together, catching up on stuff. I would've probably told him all about the craziness I'd experienced the past week, but it felt unnecessary when Alex started gushing about Hanna. Or at least I thought it was gushing when it was actual sulking.

"I know what will get you in the mood." I nudged Alex as we walked side by side. He glanced over at me from below his grey snapback. "We should go on a double date sometime."

Alex smiled a little. "Yeah. Sure. You think you can convince your moody little shit of a boyfriend?"

"Probably not." I linked my arm with his. "It's Caden we're talking about."

Alex huffed a laugh.

"I'll still do it though," I said. "I can be a third wheel by myself. We can all hang out together. You know, like old times?"

"I'd like that."

"So would I." I leaned my head on his arm. "What were you saying about Hanna though?"

Alex sighed and I felt it reverberating through me. "Distant. She's been growing distant. I don't...really understand why."

"What do you mean why? You're her fucking boyfriend. The love of her life. Go ask her!"

A tiny cosy looking cafe came into our view and my spirit itself screamed in delight when I thought about some nice, iced coffee. A muffin too. A car honked by and I jumped a little.

"That's not it." He shook his head. "She needs space. I'm giving her space."

"Don't tell me you want her to break up with you." I got busy twisting the silver ring on my finger, absentmindedly wondering where Caden was right now and what he was doing.

"Of course, not."

"Well." I sighed. "I'll be honest with you. I think...relationships usually go down the drain when one asks for space." I told him and we pulled to a stop. "I mean, sure, some alone time is nice. But giving someone space is almost like...not fighting for what you love. Or something like that."