Chapter Seventeen

__••__

Jonathan ran his fingers through his moist hair as his breath came out jagged, while the thoughts of his wife swam through his mind. He staggered in his confused state, to a corner where he leaned on a small table to catch his breath.

"What's happening?" He asked and swallowed the thick heated bile growing in his tightening throat, then frowned slightly when a thought crossed his clouded mind. "Where's Vera? How come I haven't heard from her?"

Horror filled his sweaty face before he pulled out his phone and dialed a number that rang for a few seconds.

"David, have you seen Vera anywhere?" He asked, his eyes widened a bit. "What do you mean by that? You are chief of security, do something and make sure that she's alright by the time you find her!"

He ended the call and marched down the hallway while pressing his throbbing temples. As he walked on, he paused the moment his gaze dropped on the floor ahead of him. He narrowed his eyes as he took in what looked like blood flowing out from under a closed door.

Jonathan raced towards the crimson stained floor and knelt down on one knee, and touched the red liquid with his fingers then brought it to his nose. He gasped and stared up at the door in front of him then stood up and hesitantly pushed the door open.

"Vera?!" He yelled in horror as his eyes settled on the pale and bloody body of his best friend, then ran and dropped to her side.

His fingers shook as it hovered over her face while his eyes took in her slitted neck, her stained stomach and the way her eyes were open and lacked life. Jonathan smacked his hands over his mouth as his eyes watered then placed his hands behind her head and neck and brought her close to his chest, not bothered that he was getting stained.

"Vera, please. Don't do this to me. Don't do this to us," he said in a broken voice as he held her to him tightly. "Please, stop playing and wake up. Why would she do this to you?!"

Jonathan cried out, facing the ceiling with anger in his eyes before bringing his gaze down at her cold and pale face. He raised his hand and ran it over her cheek.

"Vera, you're going to be okay. I'll make sure of that, Vera. Just hang on and-"

Two security men barged in and took the environment in, with shock plastered all over their faces. One rushed to him and knelt down opposite Jonathan, he checked her pulse after putting on his latex gloves then looked up at Jonathan who had his head on Vera's.

"She's dead, sir and-"

"No! She can't be dead! My best friend cannot be dead. She's a strong person and death can't take her away from me so easily! No," Jonathan whispered the last part after yelling, and held her head closer. "She can't be gone."

The men shared a look of sympathy before the one standing in front of the door spoke into his walkie talkie, demanding for an ambulance.

Jonathan sniffed. "Why would Jenna take such a life?" He asked, and looked up when the security man stood up to walk into the rest room that was open. Just when he was about to look away, the man came back with a clutch bag.

"Who owns that?" Jonathan asked through gritted teeth, and watched as the man opened the clutch bag after much struggle then pulled out a few colored cards.

"These are ATM cards and some business cards that belongs to a lot of people but on the ATM card, is your wife's name." The security guard looked up from the cards in his hand to stare into the eyes of the kneeling man.

Jonathan paled. "What?"

"We just looked at the CCTV footage, when we checked how and when your wife got into the event and it was indeed the owner of that card that murdered her," said someone with a deep male voice.