Chapter Twenty Two

__••__

Jenna glared deeply at the ground while sitting on the trunk of the car, her elbow propped on her knee and the gun in her hand. She had a murderous look in her brown eyes as thoughts of what had transpired earlier went through her head.

She blinked, and ruffled her hair then sniffed and let out a dry laughter as she remembered that her finger no longer had her wedding ring around it. She looked up at the dark sky, and laughed out drily for a few seconds before clamping her mouth shut with a blank expression on.

"Wait, how did they find me?" She asked after a heavy wave of realization hit her. "I called Gloria and- that wench! Gloria gave me away! Why are people betraying me?!"

Jenna jumped off the car, and started to pace around, while hitting the base of her occupied hand on her forehead. She moved around while hissing then stopped in her tracks.

"Calm down, Jenna. At this moment, no one knows where you are and you can easily make them do what you want right now. But what?" She asked and rubbed her face, her eyes darting around the area in deep thoughts.

__••__

Jonathan clenched his fists as soon as the information about his wife's escape got to him. He gritted his teeth while glaring at Luke and the other police officers in his living room.

"So, you mean to tell me that with all the officers you had around her room and that hospital, she still escaped?" Jonathan asked, his brown eyes clouded with the rage boiling in his chest. He felt his eyes twitch when Luke nodded with an affirmative hum.

"Jenna is really good with stealth and fighting. She escaped all of us, it really still shocks me," Luke replied in defense, and Jonathan laughed out humorlessly.

"Of course she is, she's a black belt holder. She's a good swordsman, a karate genius, her father taught her how to use a gun! Yes, she's really good, and can sneak up on anyone!" Jonathan retorted and tossed his arms over his head in agitation. He felt his anger fly through the roof at his helpless condition. The more the idea of Jenna's escape rang in his head, the painful the death of Vera took over his mind and body.

"We know about that. We ran a background check on her, but the only thing right now is finding out where she is. We had our team look through the camera footage but the only thing we got last was her around the hospital building," Luke said, running his hand through his hair.

"All I want is to have her behind bars, is that so hard?" Jonathan demanded, craning his head. "I do not care how you all do it! I don't care if you have all the police and detectives in New York do it, but I want to have that woman where I want her to be."

"Well, it's not as easy as you think it is. And it's not like she'll call anytime soon," the officer beside them stated in a hard tone, and immediately, the home phone rang out, causing them to stand still and silent. All eyes on the device with breaths held.

The men shared a knowing look before Jonathan raised his hand at them, and walked over to the phone. He stared down at the ringing device, and hesitantly picked it up then pressed it against his ear.

"Hanks residence."

"Hello, dear husband," Jenna said and Jonathan's eyes widened before he signalled the men in the room.

"Jenna, where are you?" He demanded and she laughed. He made eye contact with Luke who was leaning against the table in his living room, where laptops were placed with his men working.

"Don't ask like you care for me, hubby. I know you want me out of your life, so spare me that concern."

He sighed. "You won't run away from the law for long, Jenna. Own up to your crimes and all these won't be a problem."