Not the Nicest Thank you

A growl sounded behind me, I turned just before they pounced, tackling me to the ground.

I froze, barely feeling my head hit the wooden floor of my cabin.

Amber eyes glared into mine. I shut my eyes tightly, expecting pain, that's all I ever seemed to get, even when trying to help others.

But when none came, I cracked open an eye to look back at the beast on top of me.

They snorted in my face, making me flinch before crawling off of me, then I heard something like a chuckle as I sat up, rubbing my head.

"Stupid and weak, pathetic."

A frown pulled at my lips as I sat up, a small pain in the back of my head where it had made contact with the wood underneath me.

"You're welcome." I said softly as I then got to my feet.

"What?" He asked, his voice suspicious as he eyed me.

"Are you hungry?" I asked, deciding it'd be best to change the subject before this wolf got even more disagreeable.

"Why?" He glared at me as I went into my small kitchen.

"I just finished hunting, and it looks like you could use some food. I won't make anything for you if you don't want anything." I told him as I pulled out some rabbit meat from my earlier kills. I always tried to eat my oldest meat first, it made it easier not to waste any.

The wolf huffed as he went back over to the fire, wincing as he had to use his front legs.

I could tell by the way he walked that he was already trying to heal himself. So food would definitely help, and so I started cooking up some extra meat for him. I threw some noodles in a pot with some broth, chopping up the meat, and tossing it in the pot.

"Do you like soup?" I asked looking over at him, but he ignored me.

A sigh left my lips as I went back to the kitchen.

When the food was done, I brought out a bowl for him and set it down.

I didn't expect him to shift back into his human form to eat. When hurt that badly, it could worsen wounds to try and shift either way.

However, I hadn't guessed that he'd be such a messy eater. I mean, I don't normally eat in wolf form but I hadn't expected him to spill half the broth on the wood and blankets around him.

I sat on the couch, curled up with my bowl of soup as he made an absolute mess.

"More." He grumbled and knocked the bowl towards me when he'd finished.

His fur was damp around his mouth and he had a noodle hanging out of his teeth. I looked over at him with a raised brow and put my bowl down with a small sigh. Picking up the dish he'd practically thrown at me, I returned to the kitchen to get him seconds.

He ate two more servings after that, and by the time I got to my own soup, it was cold. But it wasn't that big of a deal, I just put it on the stove to reheat it.

The wolf was asleep, his face dirty from eating and the blankets around him were damp, not too much so, they'd dry through the night.

But I worried that the wolf would have crusty fur when he woke up and that wouldn't be good for the cut on his face.

After finishing my dinner, I got a damp rag and went over, kneeling next to him to gently wipe the broth off his mug.

I hadn't really thought about how he'd react to me touching his snout though, so when his eyes snapped open at my touch, I was surprised. Especially when he snarled at me. Flinching, but not moving away, I frowned.

"I was just cleaning the broth from your fur, it'll get stale if I don't." I tried to explain, but he didn't listen.

Instead he snapped at me, almost biting my arm. He wasn't actually trying to hurt me, at least I hoped not. He was just trying to make me leave him alone, so eventually I did.

I went upstairs to my room, changed into my fluffy pajamas and got into bed.

"Poor wolf, he must be scared and confused." I murmured, my eyes staring up at the ceiling.

Why else would he be so aggressive?

Slowly but surely, my eyes closed, and like the wolf downstairs, I fell asleep also.