Take a Breath

"A cat?" Kale asked as we walked through the trees. I giggled softly as he shook his head.

"Why not a dog?" He asked raising a brow and I shrugged.

"I dunno." I said simply, putting my hands in my pockets.

Kale snorted, rolling his eyes.

"You're weird."

"Hey, you came back here on your own, I didn't force you." I told him matter-of-factly while folding my arms.

"I know." He said softly while looking around.

"There's still snow on the ground even in late spring?" He asked before shaking his head.

"Does this place ever get properly warm?" He asked looking back at me as I hummed with a smile.

"Nope, not until Summer." Kale groaned softly.

"You really hate the cold don't you?" I asked tilting my head.

"So? Everyone has their preferences." He said with a shrug. I copied his shrug while looking up at him.

"Just asking."

We walked in a comfortable silence for a little before Kale looked over at me.

"So, why do you live so far from your pack? You say you don't want to leave it but..living out that far just, sends another message."

I bit at my lips trying to find the best way to describe it.

"Well. I went to live in my cabin after I..After I was made the Omega." Kale frowned at that.

"What?" He asked while looking back at me. I looked at him a bit sheepishly.

"Y-Yeah I'm, the Omega of the Timber Pack." My heart felt like it stopped when Kale stared at me. I looked away and then back at him.

"S-Stop staring at me, it's weird." I tried to laugh, but it came out weak and fake.
Kale hummed before continuing forward.

"Did the Alpha pick you?" He asked with a frown but I shook my head.

"Mmno, I volunteered." The brunette stopped and started starring at me again.

"What?" I smiled at him not so sheepish anymore. "I volunteered to be the Omega, my parents would be able to move up in the ranks and my brother could make all sort of friends."

"But what about you?" He asked looking upset.

"Well I didn't have any friends anyways, it wouldn't hurt me." I explained with a shrug.

"But your brother doesn't really have true friends, especially if they care about him being the Omega or not." He told me and I paused.

"W-What? But Omegas.."

"Are the lowest rank, but if you're a true friend, you wouldn't care about rank."
I paused at that, looking at the ground as he started walking again. Then I looked back at him.

"Do you?" I asked quietly.

"Do I What?" He asked turning around to face me. I was a bit surprised that he'd heard me.

"Care about my rank?" I finished.

He walked back over until he stood directly in front of me, his hand reached out and pushed a loose hair behind my ear.

"Should I?" He asked and my eyes dilated lightly in reaction, my cheeks dusting a light pink.

He really didn't care. He still wanted to be around me, he still wanted me to come with him to his pack.

I rubbed my arm slowly and looked down.

"Kale, if I leave, my brother could become the Omega."

"And if he has true friends, they won't leave him alone." I bit my lip.

"But, he'll hate me."

"Will he?"

I looked back up at Kale and found that he was just a bit closer now.

"You volunteered to be the Omega so he wouldn't have to. He can't expect you to stay as the Omega, making yourself miserable just so he can be happy. And if he expects that from you, he doesn't deserve your loyalty."

My eyes watered softly and I hugged Kale tightly.

I didn't expect the warmth from his arms as he hugged me back, but I greatly appreciated it. I needed it, and I was relieved that he didn't mind.

He was really making me think. This wasn't to make me choose to go with him, he was making me think about my life here. I was miserable, even if I hadn't fully realized it before.

Even though I hadn't cried, I hadn't really seen how bad it was, until he'd come along.

I had been ostracized from my pack, and my family never even visited me. Until Kale had come along, I had been left alone entirely, and no one cared.
Tears slid down my cheeks, and I gasped for air as I just began to bawl in Kale's arms.

He didn't say anything, didn't tell me to be quiet, didn't tell me it was ok. He just held me, and let me cry.

Which was something I needed, somehow he knew that. Maybe, I needed him. If I needed nothing else, I needed him, and I think he knew that too.

1k reads, wow. That's quite a lot.
What should I do to celebrate? Any suggestions?