Unhealthy Deception

I ended up staying in my wolf form even when we neared the large house that was at the edge of the clearing. Beyond the house was a town, bigger than the one in my pack lands, but not by too much so.

Larger packs were more difficult to protect, and the Alpha family could almost never leave the pack lands.

I could sense Kale walking behind me, but I didn't look at him, I didn't know what to say to him, and I'm not sure I wanted to talk to him at the moment.

It wasn't as if he'd flat out lied to me, but the fact that he hadn't even tried to tell me before escalating our relationship...it hurt. Did he just not trust me or something?

'Benji' the blonde who had lead us here, turned to me then and smiled.

"Alexa wants to meet you, I'll take you to her." She told me and I gave her a puzzled look. This is probably a moment that I would have looked back at Kale to see if it was alright, since he was the Alpha. But I still didn't know if I was mad at him or not, so I resisted the urge to check with him and just looked down in a sort of nod.

"Mind me swiping her for a little, Alpha?" Benji asked looking behind me, confirming my sense that he had been behind me. I didn't look to see his reaction, but she nodded before gesturing me into the house.
It was only when we had gotten in the door, before I shifted back.

"Sorry about the sudden pop up outta nowhere. Did we interrupt something?" Benji asked playfully, but I shook my head.

"Not at all." I offered a smile, but it came out crooked and, well, non-rehearsed.

The blonde laughed a little before clicking her heels as she came to a stop in front of the kitchen.

"Here we are Ma'am." She held out an arm, gesturing into the room. I was a bit startled at the formalities.

"Oh, just call me Aubrey." I told her quickly, it was instinctual and yet foreign all at the same time. That was probably the first time I'd said my own name to someone since introducing myself to Kale.

"And you can call me Benji if you like." She winked at me and then nodded to the kitchen.

"Right! Ok." I said sheepishly, my voice getting quiet out of embarrassment before I entered the kitchen.

It was a very nice kitchen, plenty of space too, and an arch lead to a dinning room that was also fairly spacious, at least that I could tell.

There was a fancy looking oven and another machine I think was a dish washer. I wasn't too familiar with those since I just washed my dishes by hand at home.

But as I looked around the kitchen, my gaze almost instantly landed on the only other person there. She was tall with long black hair, when she turned around I felt stiff, even when she smiled at me. Her presence was one that demanded respect.

"Hello." She said pleasantly and I resisted the urge to fidget. I wasn't used to being talked to, normally people just passed me by and I was the one having to initiate the conversation.

"H-Hi." I waved my hand a little, she apparently liked it, because her smile broadened.

"Well aren't you cute, I can see why my little brother took an interest in you." She hummed before turning back to what she'd been doing.

Little brother? Was she referring to Kale?

Out of curiosity, I took a few steps to the side to see what she was doing.

"Kale said you like hot chocolate." She spoke, making me jump. She turned to me with a mug of something thick looking. It was muddy brown with marshmallows aplenty lightening the texture as the clouds of white melted into it. I pressed my lips together, just looking at it made my eyes dilate.