Chapter 5

"Mornin' Mavis." Lola crooned as she climbed up onto the stool.

Mavis smiled at Lola, thinking it was the happiest she had ever seen her. As it should be. It was a bright and sunny day, something that was odd when it should be turning cold. Mavis thought that it was only a momentary reprieve from the chill that had started in the past few days. It would return, probably with a vengeance.

"Morning hon, seen the news?"

She tossed the paper in front of Lola, the headline banner was of a girl found dead at the rave last night.

"Did you end up going there?"

"I did." Lola paled as she suddenly felt sick. "I left early though, someone spiked my drink."

"Seems you were the lucky one then. She wasn't so lucky."

Lola unfolded the paper and looked at the photo of a woman with long blonde locks, a sweet smile, and bright eyes. She quickly flicked through the words, trying to find out what happened to her.

"Unexplained death." She crinkled her face. "Autopsy to be conducted. No drugs found in her system, blood alcohol high but not enough to cause death."

"They're saying that she just died." Mavis shrugged. "Probably something underlying. Always is."

She nodded, watching Mavis stack the coffee cups on top of the coffee machine. There were a few coffee places in the town but Lola always preferred to get her caffeine hit here. Mavis knew that Lola liked her brew dark and strong. No one could get it right, Lola mused that Mavis was barely within the tolerable limits.

Mavis's Diner was two shops up from hers. It was a morning ritual that Lola would stop in, say hello and get a hefty hit of caffeine, chat about the town and what was happening and then she'd wander to her shop. Sometimes, she'd be running late and stop in for lunch rather than her morning ritual.

If there was a good place to get the local news, gossip, and other bits of information, it was a place like this. Mavis was like a sponge when it came to information. She knew everything. Aside from that, Lola liked to be friendly to all the local business owners and people of the town. It heightened the chance of them walking through her door to get their hair done.

Lola continued to read the article but was distracted by the photo. This girl, she had seen this girl last night with Frank. She was the one walking out the front door with him. Lola knew she couldn't remember much about the previous night but she knew that she had seen him with this girl.

"Hey Mavis, I've got to run home and get something. If Frank turns up, can you tell him to wait for me please?"

Mavis turned back with a frown.

"Frank who, hon?"

"Taylor."

Her face lit up as she gasped with a smile.

"Oh right, the boy from the gas station. Unlikely to see him here, I think he's done a runner. Bobby said the till was dry when he got in this morning. You aren't hanging around him and his sister, are you?" Mavis frowned. "I don't like to be judgemental and all but that boy ain't right. Neither is the sister. Best you stay away dear."

"Sure." She said low.

Lola slipped off the stool, pulling the newspaper with her.

"Mind if I borrow this?"

"Take it, I've got dozens."

She nodded as she slowly stepped to the glass door. The world beyond had carried on as if nothing sinister had happened the previous night. Like someone hadn't died.

"Still, if he turns up can you tell him I want to talk to him."

"Okay, hon."

Lola saw Bert, one of the town's police officers talking to Bobby MacDonald outside the drug store, his arms were flailing, and his face was red like a tomato. She rolled her eyes, Bobby always liked the drama, a bit of zest for his days. Continuing to her car, she quickly sped past them, hoping to outrun Bert and make it to Frank's house before he did. The little shack was on the outskirts of town in the more rural section. Dust billowed from behind her car as she darted the potholes, driving like a madwoman toward the shack. She knew he was gone even before she pulled up outside the house.

The car was not here, and regardless of whether there was furniture still inside the house, she knew it was true. Lola listened to her mind, rather than her heart that hoped it wasn't correct. She turned back before Bert appeared, her mind was racing as she reached the t section of the road. One way was back into town, the other was to the main highway. She bit her lip as she stared at the sign.

"How long ago did you leave this town, Frank Taylor?"

Lola remembered the clock chiming in the lounge room when she dressed for bed, it chimed for seven o'clock. She sighed heavily as she looked at her watch.

"How far could you have gotten in that time?"

She looked at the sign again and stifled a sob, the reality had finally hit her.

"You killed her, didn't you Frank? Is that why you're running away? But how, how did you do it? And why not me? What makes me so different?"

Tears trickled down her cheeks as she turned left, she was going to continue to search for him.

"As far as the highway Lola, don't be chasing him beyond that." She chastised herself.

A few miles out of town, Lola discovered the burnt out shell of a car that had crashed into a ditch. She slowed behind it, Lola sobbed when she saw the licence plate. It wasn't possible, was it? Could he be dead?

Wiping the tears, she got out of the car and did her best to inspect the shell without stepping off the road. She didn't want to get too close, but there was a raging curiosity inside her mind. Lola noted that there weren't any remnants of their bodies. She didn't know how much would remain if the car was an inferno of flames, but Lola couldn't help but wonder if there might be at least something that would indicate they were still here. Ignoring the horrid stench of fire, Lola stalked to the front end, stretching to try and see on the other side of the vehicle. Long grass tilted under the pressure, Lola narrowed her eyes. The grass was not burnt.

"This does not make sense." She whispered to herself.

Turning back to her car, a piece of paper caught her eye. Lola bent down to pick it up, a torn piece of a map that was worn and dated. She looked at the forest that loomed over her, something was telling her that this was their path. They were alive and this was nothing more than attempt to pretend they were dead. She quickly stuffed it into her pocket and climbed back into her car.

"This isn't over Frank Taylor." She wiped the tears from her eyes. "I will find you."