Chapter 11

As they stepped into the lobby of the small apartment complex, Lola turned to the man that had begrudgingly followed them.

"Wait here, she won't be too long."

Emma shrugged at him, smiling apologetically as she stepped up the stairs, Lola following. As they moved to the next flight of stairs, Lola stopped her.

"No playing games, is he here or is this a false lead?"

"It's real, but don't expect a welcoming party. He's been in a bad mood ever since."

She didn't want to highlight that Frank's bad mood had started when she announced that she was going on a date with Cody. Emma knew what thoughts were playing in his mind. He could have brought Lola, he could have had something with her.

If Frank had suggested it, Emma would have told him to go for it. She wanted her brother to be happy, he needed a little goodness in his life.

Emma moved past her and continued up the stairs, reaching their door. She tapped softly on it, hearing his thumping footsteps across the bare wood floors. The door swung open, Frank was annoyed that she had probably forgotten something again but instead was faced with something rather unexpected.

Lola smiled at Frank, intrigued by the stunned silence.

"Evening, Frank. What's happening?"

"Uh, not much."

Frank looked at Emma, who was simpering in a way that held no remorse. She knew that if Frank could find happiness with Lola, he might just want to change their dynamic. Frank narrowed his eyes at her.

"Eleven, no later."

He ignored the happy little witch who was scampering down the stairs in a good mood. As he closed the door, Frank looked at Lola. She hadn't changed much, though her face was a little more drawn out than usual.

"You'll be happy to know that I wasn't followed by the cops."

Frank stopped and stared at her as she sat onto the chair, folding her leg over the other as she grinned at him. Even when she looked smugly at him, she was incredibly beautiful. Her jeans were tight to her curvy frame, she had unbuttoned the jacket to reveal more curves and cast off the beanie, exposing her long strands of silken black hair. Lola was undeniably gorgeous.

Frank hated that he had to walk away from her. He wanted to spend an eternity with her, and no one else. But the statement about the cops had him worried. Clearly, something was amiss here.

"Pardon?"

"You know, the cops. You went missing right after the mysterious death of a girl at the rave, Bobby was furious that the till was empty and.. oh, that's right, you owe me for dumping the furniture and cleaning that house."

Frank dumped himself into the chair, watching Lola with serious concern. This was it. Someone had finally figured it out, and now he was done for. Would Jacqueline save him, or would she let him rot in jail? Frank had no idea what the vile creature would do. His expectations could be completely wrong, but he assumed that she would save him. Her reasons would be completely selfish, of course. Without Frank, she'd have to find someone else to do the work, and Frank knew that Jacqueline was lazy and held no interest in searching for another victim.

"I have to admit, it was hard to track you considering that you've changed your surname this time, but I do tend to be rather tenacious when tasked with something that I hold so dear."

"What do you want?"

Her eyes widened at the question. Sure Emma had warned her that Frank was in a mood of late, but his tone was so cold. Lola wouldn't admit to the hurt that she felt at that moment. Her façade was in place, and she would remain strong.

"Well, the lunch that you agreed to might have been nice if you weren't such an arsehole. I gave up everything to come here and find you, and this is what I get? Were you always like this or is it just in the past month that you've changed?"

He sighed as he rubbed his brow, feeling the weight of his life bearing down upon his shoulders yet again.

"I know about them, all of them. I just can't figure out how you did it. Tell me, let me in."

"What, you wearing a wire? Hope to get some delicious bit of information for Bert?"

"No!"

Lola got off her seat and walked the few paces to him, sitting on his lap. It was a forward and brash move, but it managed to ease him just a fraction.

"Do you not see the person in front of you that doesn't care? Listen to me, Frank. I know. I tracked every single one of them and figured that you had something to do with their deaths. Eight women Frank, how did you do it?"

He laughed as his hand gripped one leg, the other toyed with the hem on the back of her jacket.

"Are you the kind of chick that writes to guys in jail or something? Got a thing for murderers?"

"No." Lola smiled softly as she shook her head "Just you."

"Alright." He said simply. "I'll tell you the deal, or rather, I'll show you."

Lola didn't know what to make of that statement. She frowned just a fraction, wondering what was going to happen.