Chapter 20

Lola wished that she could see the future. To know the end of each path before her.

A tear slid down her cheek as she looked at Frank. He was the sweetest, he deserved a good life. Could she make the ultimate sacrifice for him and Emma? Was it in her to be selfish to her own needs?

The Devil offered a very tempting deal. For Frank and Emma, he'd ensure that they were never bothered by the police, he'd set each of them up in a swanky house with enough money to keep them extremely well funded for the rest of their lives, regardless of how frivolous they were with the funds and they'd be directed to a path that would lead them to their forever. A person that was what they desired in physical form and be everything that they needed. A good person with strong values, warm and inviting, loving, and caring. Lola noted that the Devil sure knew how to paint a pretty picture of domesticity.

For herself, the Devil gave just as easily. She wondered how he could be so benevolent and be scorned by the Church and humanity. Was this a trick, and she'd soon learn the Devil's true worth?

Lola would never remember Frank or Emma. The Devil said that he would create a memory of them meeting somewhere, falling in love, and her eventual acceptance to join him in the Underworld. She would have no recollection of this day, her sadness or fears. The past would be remembered in a distant way. Memories would remain, but they would be vague, and of course, Frank and Emma would not exist in them.

Standing from the lounge, Lola walked to the window to gaze out at London. That was another thing that she'd soon forget. This world was hers, she could return whenever she wanted and walk through any city. With the Devil by her side or alone, she could do as she pleased. This city, this country, it would not be her home anymore, nor would she remember it in such a way. If she accepted the Devil's offer, it would become just an ordinary city that she might want to walk through, if she was so inclined.

Wrapping her arms around herself, Lola thought about the other things that the Devil offered to Frank and Emma, things that she'd never considered. Because of their life and the situation they found themselves in, neither of them finished their schooling. Hiding from the authorities and living a life on the run didn't allow for such things. He sweetened the deal, ensuring that Frank and Emma would increase their intelligence enough to get a good job rather than the cash in hand jobs that they'd endured previously. That is, of course, if they wanted it. The Devil reiterated that he would ensure that they would not need to work.

Lola could even pick a career for them if she wanted to. The Devil suggested things like a doctor, perhaps even a surgeon or specialist. Maybe a lawyer, a judge or God forbid, a politician. For a moment, Lola smiled when she remembered the Devil winking at her when he offered that suggestion. Even the Devil dislikes politicians, her mind whispered.

She wondered how the Devil could have a heart when he was so cruel to those in the Underworld. When he spoke of his desires, Lola thought that he almost had the appearance of a human. Fragile.

"How can I trust you?"

"I could ask the same."

Lola turned from the murky window to look at the creature that offered so much and asked for so little. As expected, she was wary.

"Would you be my master?"

"I would not have a lover in such circumstances. It is not appropriate."

"And what of life after the child is born? I would not be of any use to you."

The Devil stood and walked to Lola, regarding the curious human before him.

"You think so little of yourself? Perhaps I would be interested in another child in the years that come."

Lola gasped as the cool fingers reached out to her jaw, sliding over the skin with the gentlest of caresses.

"You're stealing from another man."

"I find it interesting that you consider yourself a possession of his. Here I was with the belief that you lived your life as your own and decided it for yourself. If that were the case, then it would not be theft but a decision made by you. I have not held a gun to your head or his, demanding you to take one path over the other. I have merely ensured that the deal that I offer is incredible enough to be pleasing to you. Of course, if you belong to Frank, then I will offer a deal to him. I wonder what fate he would decide for you, his little play toy."

Lola pushed the Devil away, angry, and hurt at his words. Turning back to the window, Lola wilfully tried to stop the tears. She was failing.

"You ask too much of me."

"You will not remember," He whispered in her ear.

Looking over her shoulder, Lola watched the long fingers trail up her arms. A teasing touch that sent a shiver through her. The other arm wrapped around her shoulder. Soon, Lola found herself in the Devil's embrace, staring up into the dark eyes. His free hand wiped the tears away before sliding his fingertips over her lips. They parted, gasping as the desire began to build.

"I can give you so much. All you need to do is agree."

Lola stared, unable to detract from the subtle hints of the monster beneath the facade.

"Do you know who really has the kiss of death?"

She shook her head, fearing his answer.

"Me." He whispered, lowering to her cheek.

The subtle scent of perfume lifted to the Devil, engorging his senses with the delicate tones.

"One kiss and you will be dead to this world, reborn into my world. It would be the beginning of a new life. What do you say, Lola? Shall I kiss you?"