Chapter 6

"Ugh, I hate the smell of petrol." Emma sneered. "Next time, can we not burn the evidence?"

"What other way would you have it done, Em? If we left the car on the side of the road, Bert would have started a search."

She rolled her eyes and pulled the bag over her shoulder more.

"No one saw us last night. We're not connected to the girl in any way. You're just paranoid."

"Better to be paranoid than arrested."

"Well, being in jail might stop Jacqueline."

Frank believed that nothing would stop the witch. She'd just make him lure one of the prisoners out and take his soul as her offering. If there were even a glimmer of hope, the horrid creature would swoop on it with everything she had. Being in jail would not stop her.

"I doubt it."

The scrub was thick; with every step Emma took, she had to lift her legs higher just to make it over the log or the plant. It was alright for Frank, he was tall and had long legs, this was a breeze for him. But for petite Emma, it was like she was walking in the land of giants.

"Where to now?"

Frank pulled the torn map out of his pocket, it was falling apart in his hands.

"Get a new map first. Then I suppose we could find a city this time. Easier to hide, I reckon. How about London?"

Emma nodded as she looked at the map.

"There are a lot of options there."

"Sure, but we need to find another car. I'm sick of walking like this, it hurts my hips."

"Well, pick a car."

Frank gestured to the forest around them. It was full of excellent choices for nonexistent cars.

"I meant when we get out of here, jack ass."

"Sure, sure. Let's hope there's no one watching, no tracking systems in the car."

Emma sighed, wondering why it was necessary to burn the car. It was old, it had no tracking system in it, and no one had searched for it in the entire time they'd been using it. At least when they had a car, they'd get to places easily. Now it was a slow path to nowhere.

What were the chances that Bert would figure it out? Emma thought zero was the most accurate answer. His co-workers weren't much better. In preparation for today, Emma had spent many days watching the police in the town. Their routine was highly predictable, and they hardly did any work, given that crime was rare. By ten am, the entire department would be at the local bakery, picking out their morning tea. Lunchtime would roll around, and they'd wash the crullers down with something that might be a little healthier, depending on what they'd agreed upon. Emma mused with a lot of amusement that if she'd stuck around long enough and had the money, she would have opened a pizza shop across the road from the station. She'd be one rich woman in no time.

After hours of walking through the forest, Emma thought they might be lost, but they weren't that lucky. Frank always knew where he was going, and she quietly mused that it had to be Jacqueline's doing.

Finally, they made it to the edge of the forest, looking out upon the bustling highway.

"Do you want to risk getting a lift?"

"No," Frank grumbled. "They might remember us."

Emma nodded regretfully, knowing that Frank had his rules when it came to their life. Don't leave an impression on people, blend in, and become nothing but a figment of their imagination. They stepped through the undergrowth to the trimmed verge that sat between the forest and the chain link fence. It was all that separated them from the highway. The blistering afternoon sun beat down on them as they walked along the trimmed grass, slowly making their way along the narrow path.

"You know what I think," Emma announced out of nowhere.

Frank pursed his lips, wondering what kind of statement the little witch would come out with.

"I think you should test it on someone. You know, some random chick that you don't care about."

He looked at her as she wiped the sweat off her brow, squinting in the harsh light.

"That way, you will know once and for all if you can have a relationship with someone or not."

Frank playfully sighed, thinking it was probably the most intelligent thing she has ever said.

"I'll test it on you, how does that sound?"

"Oh, eww, you freak." She crinkled her nose at him. "I'm glad you're only teasing. Otherwise, I'd punch you."

"I'm sure you would. Okay, I'll find some random woman, date her and get a little snuggly with her. How's that?"

"Sounds dreadful."

They looked at each other, laughing briefly. In the days after Jacqueline's visit, Frank was all over the place with his mood. He'd be sad at what had happened, angry that they were leaving another town and sometimes, he'd be in a good mood. It was a full year until she would turn up again. Unless they called her, Jacqueline kept her distance. Frank and Emma had no idea where she went or what she did, they didn't care. All they wanted was to be left alone.

Frank liked the idea of dating someone. If he kissed her and she survived, he might finally feel free enough to indulge in more than just a kiss. Maybe it might be time to get physical with a lovely lady.

He paled at the thought, having never done that. More than anything, he wanted to but was scared of what would happen to the woman. Now that he had this idea to test, Frank thought that the future was getting better. It would never be perfect, but if he could have positive moments in his life, then maybe it wouldn't be so grim all the time.