Chapter 23

A white dress with a delicate, pale flower pattern flowed all the way to my knees, showing off my legs perhaps a little too much for my taste. However, I liked this dress. I had owned it for years now, and each time I wore it less and less as my insecurities grew.

Myra had been rummaging through my small closet, swiping from one side of the hangers to the other and stopping on dresses or outfits that might have looked good on me. But she shook her head and decided they weren't good enough, saying they were apparently 'too boring' or 'far too casual' for a party. So she began rummaging through her closet, and that wasn't much help either, yet she picked things out anyways.

She slowly developed a routine that consisted of opening the bathroom door, chucking in the new options she had chosen and repeating this cycle until a large pile massed on the floor. However, everything she had chosen were all things that didn't feel like me. I was either too self-conscious to wear them, or I simply just felt uncomfortable in them.

At least that was before she threw in the white dress. I had picked it up and held it up against my body, glancing at half of my clothes and hers mixed together, all lying on the floor next to my feet.

I dragged the light fabric over my shoulders and neatly brushed it down to see how it fit on me. Then, a single smile filled with memories brushed upon my face.

Myra burst through the door like she had the past five times and halted when she saw me. Her mouth gaped and the clothes in her hands dropped to the ground, their presence now a nuisance.

"Shit..." She looked at me through the mirror. "I think we found one."

I shook my head and sunk down to pick up the many things on the bathroom floor.

"You don't think it is too much?"

"Not at all!" She waved her hand in dismissal. "You look fucking stunning!"

I laughed with my face hidden and once more, shook my head, feeling slightly flattered.

"Now, your makeup!" She jumped up next to me, pulling out draws and taking out brushes.

"I don't wear much makeup. Just a light lip gloss and eyeshadow." I told her.

"Fine, fine, we'll do it your way. But be quick!" She said as she walked out of the bathroom, taking the clothes out of my hands. "Your friend... William is here already and it's almost ten!"

I didn't think much about the makeup I put on next. I did what I would do every other outing I went to; brushed the pink powder over my cheeks, coloured my eyelids and swiped the gloss over my pink lips to make their shade brighter. It didn't take much time and when I finished, I reached the living room, finding Will standing by the door, shifting from one leg to the other uncomfortably.

"Hey," I called out quietly and he raised his head to meet me.

His eyes went wide for a moment, taking in what I was wearing until he eventually smiled and greeted me like always.

"You look great!" He nodded at my dress. "I feel like I've never seen you outside of a pair of jeans and a blouse." He half joked.

"Thank you," I smiled widely back at him. "You don't look so bad yourself."

I looked at his black dress shirt, unbuttoned and rolled up his arms while the white, thin, long-sleeved shirt peered underneath as a layer. His dark blue skinny jeans were pinned around his legs and ended where his white converse began. It was simple, yet something that was much of Will's style. And in all fairness, Will was quite a handsome guy.

"Why, thank you." He grinned and looked over his outfit quickly.

"So now that everyone is here, should we get going?" Lars peered from around the corner.