Chapter 47

There is always a feeling of peace when the sun arrives at my window. With a single beam of light reaching into the room and brightening the small corners of my desk, I feel as if a part of my life back home is with me. The best parts.

Routinely, every Saturday, my mother would knock on my door and sit at the edge of my bed, gossiping to me about the things that happened at work and who ate who's labeled lunch. I missed that when I moved to Berkeley. Even when I thought I was ready to walk on the tight-rope of college, a smaller part of me was afraid.

That small part of me grew as time passed on. Especially now, being with Aiden. The fact was that I wasn't afraid of who he was. I was afraid of the secrets he kept – the ones that made him believe suffering alone was a better remedy than seeking help. I wondered what he was like before he decided on separating himself from the world.

The day Aiden drove me home after Aubrey invited us to dinner, things slightly shifted. Throughout the week, Aiden and I seemed to sort through the doubts and store them away.

When Myra came over on Friday to pick up her bags of clothes, she waved me goodbye and promised to be back Sunday night.

Once she was gone, Aiden brought his textbooks over and we both studied together until our eyes were sore. We sat in front of each other, stealing minute glances. He left late that night, barely able to hold in his yawns.

The following afternoon, Aiden arrived at my apartment with damp hair. His grin was wide, which was something I still found unusual. However, what appeared strange was the fact he was wearing jewellery. The silver necklace that hung just below his collarbones had a compass engraved on the pendant, and when I looked down to his hands, a new black ring encircled his middle finger.

"Good morning," He greeted me, walking by me so closely that I inhaled his new, sweet-scented cologne.

'Hi," I smiled softly, taking in the rest of his appearance.

His broad shoulders were tightly wrapped in his black shirt and his jeans were held to his waist by a brown belt. His boots were new, too. They weren't the heavy ones I was used to. These were slimmer and slightly pointier at the ends.

He managed to look like himself, yet elegant while making it seem so effortless.

"I hope I'm not too late." He said and walked backwards into my room.

"Not at all."

He nodded and shifted over to the small bookshelf nailed to the wall. His eyes roamed the titles while his index finger ran above each spine.

"What were you doing before I got here?" He asked, taking out a book from the bunch.

"I was reading."

"For work or pleasure?" He smirked.

"Pleasure." I sat down at my desk and swiveled my chair in his direction while he continued to roam the small shelves.

"What were you reading?"

"The book that Will gave me for my birthday."

"Is it any good?"

"It is."

"Well, go on, tell me what it's about." He neatened up my books before taking a seat on my bed.

I chuckled and shifted in my chair as I began to read the blurb out loud. But he stole the book out of my hands and placed it beside him on the bed.

"I can read a blurb, but I want to read your thoughts."

I started recounting the events that I had read up to that point, even going into depth about what I believed would happen next. He sat there happily, as if it were his new favorite book, as I went on and on about it.