Chapter 33

A library. The place I called a second home. On one hand, it was a place of fiction and imagination, a warm blanket made of the tales others shared. On the other hand, it was a place of history, accounts of the things that shaped the future that we call today.

This building, even though tall and refined with three different sets of double doors under large vertical windows, left me at a sense of ease.

Elijah pushed and held back the door so I could pass through first. He followed behind me after I quickly gave thanks and stepped into the large space that smelt of crisp old paper and leather.

It wasn't much different from any other I had been in before, apart from the size. The bookshelves filed in perfect parallel lines to the exact inch. Every book was stored properly and neatly in its place, every study table reflecting the light that came through those windows.

"This way," Elijah whispered out, guiding me to the main desk where some workers were scanning books and typing on computers.

The first person I noticed was a cheerful woman in her thirties. She had short, curly brown hair that framed her round face. She wore a light shade of pink lipstick that made the eye shadow on her brown eyes stand out against her large features. She was stubby in height, however beautiful. Unlike everyone else, though, she wore a small pin on the left side of her shirt just above her chest that read 'Kate'. She was also holding a sheet of childish stickers saying 'good job!' or 'Well Done!' – She had one bright blue one on her hand.

This woman seemed like the type of person anyone would like to be friends with, including me.

"Hi, Elijah!" She shrieked and waved animatedly.

"Hi, Kate." He smiled in return, gesturing towards me. "This is Emma, the girl I told you would be working with us."

Her body tilted to one side to see past Elijah's broad figure and with a grin, she waved at me too with the same excitement.

"Oh, hi! My name is Kate!" She waddled over to me, her eyes crinkled at the corners from her smile, and then she wrapped her arms around me. "It's really nice to meet you!"

"It's really nice to meet you too." I smiled softly, a little taken back by the hug.

"Jesus, sorry." She shook her head and hastily stepped back. "I'm told I can be a little much..."

"It's okay," I smiled widely. "I like hugs."

"Oh, me too!" Her cheeks blushed pink. "My name is Kate." She paused. "I already said that." She laughed at herself. "Anyways! Let me introduce you to everyone."

"Actually, Kate, I wanted to show her around." Elijah pitched in.

"Come on! Let me show her around... please?" Kate looped her arm with mine and looked up at him. "Patrick wanted to talk to you anyways, he's in the geology section with the cart."

Elijah glanced between the two of us. I gave a small shrug, not knowing what to do.

"Alright, but do it quietly. Start with the office." He turned to me. "I'll be back soon. Kate will introduce you to everyone and show you how to do everything. I'll see you in a bit."

Kate waved her hand dismissively, "Take your time, she'll be fine."

Elijah shook his head and left. Then Kate ushered me to a back office.

There were two people in there. One was an older man who appeared to be in his seventies, perhaps eighties, and the other, a college student like Elijah or myself.

"The kid on the far left is called James. He's in his last year of college and works here part-time. He's really nice. The old man leaning back on his chair, however, is an irritable know-it-all asshole. His name is Arthur. You probably spoke to him on the phone. Funniest yet the laziest man I've ever met. He's been working here for years."