Part II Chapter 29 - Rival

***Lynett***

This has to be a joke... I have been waiting for this day forever and this is a huge let down.

My first magic lesson.

It has already been a little more than a week since I arrived here, and I had yet to practice magic. Regardless of their major, the students of this academy followed the same kind of syllabus. Two weeks of theoretical classes, two weeks of practical classes, and a final examination at the end of the month. According to their results, students could be promoted or demoted to another class. Since I wasn't admitted to this school the traditional way, I was assigned to the beginner class. It didn't particularly bother me, since I knew I'd have the opportunity to get into a better class once the monthly examination was over, but now I'm starting to lose patience.

"Now begin to bring awareness to your breath, as you feel the lightness of your body," the teacher instructed with a soft voice. "Your mind is completely aware, your body is completely relaxed. You are present, you are here, you are one."

I-did-not-sign-in-for-a-yoga-class.

I know this is the beginner class, but are they being serious right now? It's been almost two hours that we've been doing the same breathing exercises.

That's right. They were teaching us how to control mana. This was something I always took for granted before so I had almost forgotten, but it's true that normal people first needed to learn how to use mana before learning how to use magic. Only now I realize how lucky I was, never to have to go through that unlock-your-chakra bullshit. I'm definitely not patient enough for meditation.

I want to return to my room...

The worst about it? This class is mandatory. I can skip theoretical classes just fine -and I did-, but practical classes are mandatory. Which means I'll have to endure this for two entire weeks. And here I thought magic school would be fun...

"Lynett?" The teacher called, as she saw me zoning out. "Is something wrong?"

"Er... No, everything's fine," I replied.

"Stay focused. It is important to clear your mind so that you can feel the mana flowing in your body."

I can feel the mana just fine...

The exercise continued for at least another hour before the teacher decided it was time for a break. Another minute and I would've really passed out of boredom.

"It's exhausting... Who would have thought it'd be this hard to become a mage?"

"Right? I should have chosen the swordsmanship major!"

"I think I'm making some progress! I could feel my body burning hot with energy!"

"Really? This must be your mana!"

Nah, it's called a headache. This is what happens when you stay in the sun for too long. It was kind of cute though. That innocence. Magic as always been as easy as 1, 2, 3 for me, so I can't really relate.

As I kept listening to the other students' conversations, one of them said something that caught my attention.

"Look, that's Mustache!"

I turned in the direction of their gaze and I noticed Mr. Glenn. Among the students, he was best known as Mr.Mustache, or just Mustache. The reason? The splendid mustache he was growing, one that could put even Friedrich Nietzsche to shame.

"What's he doing here?"

What, indeed. Mr. Glenn was a well known teacher. If I remember well, he teaches Magic Empowerment to the most advanced classes. For what reason did he come here to see us, rookies who are still learning how to control mana?