Thirty-One

The drive following the jet landing was nerve-wracking. I was fascinated by the buildings as we drove through St. Louis. I had ignorantly assumed Missouri to be one of those backwater southern states in which only wooden cabins and churches existed. Instead of mass amount of hillbillies walking about with no shoes on, I saw what one would typically see in a New Jersey city except with smaller buildings and less diversity in culture.

As we were stopped at a red light, I watched a group of people conversing on a street corner, probably on some sort of trip together. I wondered if I called out to them what would happen. If I revealed my abducted status, would they call the police? Would they try to help me?

I glanced at Jacobi, who was seated next to me. He was watching me in the darkness. Again, something about the way he looked at me made me think he knew what had crossed my mind. I frowned, but turned to look at the street again. What would be the risk in trying to get someone to save me? The most obvious one would be that I'd get hurt, but then I'll probably be dead soon. The second option would be that I'd get away, but Xander and Aveline's claim on me would prove very unfortunate for me. And the third option would be that anyone who tried to help me would be killed horribly.

I sighed as we finally continued on our trip. Once we were on the outskirts of the city, we moved onto a stranded road which led through a path of trees. Occasionally there were signs that warned intruders of trespassing onto private property.

After passing through large barred gates, we pulled into a large circular driveway which framed a ridiculous landscape of animal shaped bushes and statues. It appeared the McElroy coterie's headquarters were near mansion-like as well. The shape of the building was different; more oval than rectangular. Once the vehicle stopped in front of the entrance, I felt my anxiety increase. I was about to greet a new coterie, one which hated me now more than Jacobi's coterie did at this point.

Jacobi exited the vehicle first, moving around to open my door most gentleman-like. He held out his arm for me to grab, though he wasn't looking at me as he did so. I hesitated, but linked my arm through his and prayed my life wouldn't end that night.

There were figures standing almost like security guards on certain steps of the entrance. As we past them, I openly stared with curiosity. They looked the same as any other vampire, but for some reason I could sense they weren't as strong as the vampires I had met so far.

When we began to enter the doors of the headquarters, one vampire caught my eyes with his and snarled angrily. I immediately gasped, stepping closer into Jacobi who turned and growled dangerously at the angry figure. Even though no actual words were spoken, the vampire looked away and ignored us. I looked up at Jacobi, my eyes shining with uncomfortable fear. He moved his free hand over mine, which was clinging onto his forearm with new vigor, and kept walking into the headquarters.

Stay close, I reminded myself. I ignored that initial distrust towards Jacobi and kept my body as close to his as I could while still allowing us to walk without falling over. Once we were inside the main entrance of the headquarters, Jacobi stood still, pulling me to halt next to him. I looked around, stunned by the intense theme of snow white walls, diamond figurines, and golden accessories which accompanied the interior of the headquarters. If anything, it appeared that somebody was trying altogether too hard.

"What do we do now?" I whispered to Jacobi, as though any vampire wouldn't hear me with their sensitive ears.

"We wait," He responded simply, not bothering to speak quietly. I nearly jumped at the echo which followed his words. "Relax, Elysia. I won't let anyone harm you." Before I could attempt to relax, a door was opened abruptly, causing me to tighten my grip on Jacobi even more. An unknown woman made her way to our location and bowed briefly.