Chapter Twenty Three

Maddox seemed on edge, I could tell that something was definitely wrong. Jaw clenched, nervous fidgeting, the sound of his nail connecting with the car door filling up the confined space of the car. 

"Are you alright?" I finally asked, my voice causing the tapping sound to stop, 

"Yeah, it's just some stuff. I'll talk to you about it later, I'm just trying to figure something out." He breathed, Maddox's body still tense.

I looked down, turning the bomb's shell in my hand to distract myself, "If it's about me going down to get this, Maddox, it really wasn't a big deal. If it was actually that dangerous, something would have happened, but I'm fine!"

"I know, I know, Dove, trust me. It's not about you going down there, Really, I'm proud of your decision. Just- just leave it alone, you'll find out soon enough." Maddox promised though he refused to look at me, to meet my gaze, choosing instead to stare out the window at the fast-approaching night.

I took that as my signal to be quiet. Something was wrong, and he said he would be telling me soon enough, so I would just have to take his word for it. The moment that the car pulled up in front of the castle's entrance, Maddox was gone, practically flying out of his seat and into the castle. I took a breath, made a prayer for some patience, and then stepped out of the car myself, thanked the driver and then followed the footsteps in the snow back up to the door.

Zina, Callie and Peyton were still in the entrance hall, their pups and mates nowhere to be seen.

I looked up in surprise, "What are you guys doing here? I would have thought you would be getting ready for dinner or something."

Zina shrugged, "Elliot, Dakota and Cassius are all on edge. We made the executive decision to eat dinner privately tonight. But anyway, we're actually here for you. Do you have any time to spare?"

I stopped, "I suppose. Where would you like to go?"

We ended up just going into the sitting room that was closest to the entrance hall, all sitting down on luxurious couches as Peyton began to talk,

"We were a little worried," She started, "How much do you know about the blood moon?"

"Nothing," I answered truthfully, "I think I've only ever been through one, but I was bedridden with the flu."

The three shared a look, sending waves of uneasiness through my stomach, 

"And Maddox, he's been acting off lately? More within the last hour or so?" Callie guessed, All three of them clearly knew what they wanted to talk to me about.

"Yes, he was acting off. He seemed worried and really tense. He just told me that he was going to tell me what was wrong later after he figured out all of his thoughts." I admitted slowly, trying to avoid eye contact as much as possible.

"Trust me, there is a very good reason for that." Zina assured me, leaning over and placing a sympathetic hand on my knee, "How much as Maddox told you about the Blood Moon?"

"Only that it causes something to happen," I told them, I scrunched up my nose, "Is this blood moon thing the reasoning behind how he's acting?"

Peyton nodded eagerly, "Yep. I'm going to tell you about the blood moon alright? But promise me that you'll keep calm and take this in with an open mind?"

I nodded slowly. The three girls were visibly excited. Large, bright smiles accompanied by the fidgeting of their hands or legs. It only made me feel worse, what exactly were they going to tell me?

"The Blood moon is one of those things that the Moon Goddess created for us. There is no way of tracking them, but every wolf will experience at least one in their lifetime. The Blood moon forces the wolf side out, basically making the human side dormant. But, what happens is that the body doesn't shift." Peyton explained eagerly, lowering her voice to a whisper.