6. The Step

C H A P T E R
S I X

Julian didn't know whether it was fear or an evasive manoeuvre that Benjamin Perkins had adopted so as to avoid the impending discussion. Tired of watching the man chugging down water, Julian cleared his throat.

"I understand how hard this is--" Julian started.

Benjamin Perkins raised his hand to silence Julian. He swallowed another sip of water before rubbing his sleeve across his damp mouth. By this time, Julian had crumpled a paper in annoyance and impatience.

"Are you finished?" Julian bit out, barely composing himself.

"Er, right sorry." Benjamin Perkins muttered. "Last week, two strange men approached me. One was a short, skinny guy and the other was a giant. They offered me quite a sum of money if I agreed to help them break into your Museum."

"Did you agree?" Julian asked whilst reaching over for his notebook and pen.

"I contemplated it that's for sure, but I disagreed in the end." Benjamin declared as he squared his shoulders with pride. Then there was a silence that ensued and Julian was tempted to reach over his desk and choke Benjamin until he stopped breathing.

"They took my wife!" He suddenly cried out, his teary eyed face falling into his hands.

"The thieves?" Julian asked, his face morphed into slight discomfiture.  Julian noted the information down.

"They said they'll bring her back to me only if I'm compliant and silent." Benjamin explained his body racking with shivers and shakes.

Julian sighed as he turned away from the sobbing man. It was clear that Benjamin needed a moment to compose himself. He looked down at the city. His eyes perused the bustling crowds and cars beneath him. The setting sun cast a beautiful flourescent light, momentarily casting a glow on Julian.

When he went back to his seat, Benjamin seemed ready to continue. "My oldest daughter Corrine rushed off to the police but later on in the day she was shot at. They missed her, it was a warning." Benjamin concluded ominously.

"I sympathise with your situation, I really do. But did they say anything about the missing artifacts?" Julian pressed on.

"Ah yes, when they were packaging your artifacts I woke up to hear their discussion---"

"I'm sorry, did you faint?" Julian snorted.

Benjamin pursed his lips. "It was terrifying."

"If you say so." Julian paused momentarily. "Please go on." Julian urged him.

Benjamin sent him a glare then carried on, "There's going to be an auction held in Kenya, Nairobi to be precise. That's where they are going to sell some of the artifacts off."

"Kenya?" Julian repeated.

Benjamin gave him a curt nod. "Yes, Kenya." He confirmed.

"I need to fly there immediately." Julian said with urgency.

"Just be careful Boss, I'm still waiting for my wife today. These people are dangerous." Benjamin advised.