3 ᴥ Aftermath

Protect yourself. Protect your family. The core values of what we are should never be forgotten, and yet, he had. For her.
°°°°°°°°°°°

"Why her? Why?" I screamed into the empty air of the trees.

Rosalie watched sadly from her spot by Bella's truck. I wanted to smash the stupid thing.

"What's the point in me staying?" I screamed again, closing my eyes. "I wanted to just start over!"

"You're family," she said quietly. "Our family even if you're not his."

"Why would he...." I trailed off.

"Hit it and quit it?" Emmett's booming voice came from the trees before he appeared.

He and Alice had gotten Jasper away from the commotion and I figured Emmett only came back so Alice could help Jasper more personally. I knew he was hating himself right now. Rosalie glared at her mate as he shrugged apologetically.

"Rose is right, though. You're family Corinna," he said gently this time. "I tried talking to Edward but I get...well, nothing."

My chest felt tight. I smiled thinly as I retreated back towards the porch. Emmett hesitated, but Rosalie grabbed his arm, telling him it was okay.

"Just make sure you feed later," Rosalie whispered as the door shut behind me.

I could heard Carlisle's soft voice from the kitchen.

"Edward's believes this life to be damning..."

"Woah, like, hell?" Bella gasped softly. I heard clinking of glass.

"We come from two very religious times and families... He can't help it." Carlisle sighed. More glass.

Maybe Edward thought I was damned. My eyes burned with tears that would - could - never come.

"So he would never..." She trailed off.

Carlisle didn't respond any further, and I listened to him finish fixing her arm before the quiet hiss of a flame grew from the small bin next to him. He came out of the kitchen and stopped in front of me.

"I can't apologize more for the behavior you're experiencing. He's a very private person, Corinna. I only hope you don't blame the rest of us."

His words were soft, comforting. No one here wanted me to leave, except maybe Edward, and I felt some of my anger evaporate. My face softened, and Carlisle's did as well.

"And, please, don't kill my patient," he sighed, "Its bad enough as is."

He brushed past me up the stairs, and for a moment I wished I could be in his mind for even a second. The stress he must feel was impossible to imagine.
Bella was facing the opposite way when I walked in, and I watched her eyes flicker to me before her body when rigid.

"I'm not here to eat you," I tried to joke but it came out flat and angry.

"I didn't mean for tonight to -"

"You love him?" I asked quietly.

Her cheeks flushed pink near her ears. She didn't answer right away.