4. New Recruits

(THIS CHAPTER HAS BEEN REVISED. REREAD TO SEE WHAT CHANGED AND WHAT HAPPENS!!)

I never thought too much about how we get here. But I guess I know now. And looking out at all the kids that surround me... I can't help but feel slightly responsible. Granted I've been lied to as well and live in the same nightmare, but some strange and remote part of me feels like I'm to blame. My mouth goes dry as I inject the needle, the small kid before me going limp. "I'm sorry..."

"But they'd kill me too...."

Everything was black at first, then, all of a sudden, an image appears. A man towers over me, a scowl etched deep on his face. I can feel myself breathing deeply as I stare at the man.

(╥﹏╥)

"Get. Up," he spat at me. The pain in my ribs radiates to my arms as I attempt to stand, unable. He kicks me again right in my stomach and all air leaves me. It feels like needles are stabbing my lungs as I try to take in oxygen. My body felt weak as if I had been working for hours, which I probably had.

"I....I...I can't," I gasp, my voice low. The man growls and grabs me by my shirt, hoisting me to my feet. The leg muscles feel like noodles as my weight is put on them. I sway a little, trying to keep my balance.

"You're weak 17. There is no way a girl should beat you. And not with that power of yours," he scolds. I groan as he pushes me back to the floor forcefully, yelping when my bruised and sore body hits the mat. I look at 389, attempting to stand again. She smirks at me and walks over slowly.

"You should learn how to be a good dog, and lay," she taunts. I bare my teeth in pain, hoping the wince looks fearsome. Laughing, her eyes glow turquoise and her hands light up. She shoots yet another beam of energy.

I can hear the other subjects laughing as I crumple again. Fear and anger roll over in my veins, making my body shake and my stomach twist and turn.

"Sh-shut up," I grumble, rolling on my back. She growls and shoots at me again. I close my eyes, thinking of everything I'm feeling right now. The pain, anger, fear, distress, exhaustion, hunger. "SHUT UP!!!!" I scream.

Something snapped in me and it was gone. The room had fallen silent. When I open my eyes again, the girl I was fighting was frozen and I stood to my feet. It surprised me just how fast I was able to, and with ease. 389 started to whimper and back away from me, her eyes wide with fear. The instructor grinned at me. "Good job kid," he praised, making me feel sick.

"Now. You wanna run that by me again?"

I am not weak. I won't become weak.

"N-no. Please, d-don't hurt me," she stutters. I walk over to her, pulling her hair hard. She screams a little and I pull harder. I put my foot on her back and everything starting to fade. My emotions slowly whithering away and I keep pulling her hair. Soon blood lines her forehead.

Is this what you want to see? You want me to hurt those weaker than me right?

"Now who's the dog bi*ch?!" I yell. She starts to cry, tears falling fast down her rosy cheeks. The silent room almost deafening in my ears. My stomach churns for a second in disgust and then leaves. She falls to get knees and starts trying to get away from me again.

"Me!! I-I'm a dog!" Her voice is thick with pain and fear. 389 grabs at my hand and tries her best to get me to let go. I wouldn't. I pulled harder and harder, a ripping sound and she started screaming. I couldn't imagine what this was like, and I didn't want to.