XXVI ; terrible liars

* * *

            MRS. WEASLEY HAD A FUSS WHEN EVERYONE GOT BACK TO THE BURROW. she'd been in a right state, worrying over them, not knowing who was dead or alive. thankfully, they all were alive and well. when she was informed of what happened between mr. crouch and elara, she went off on a tangent.

            "... i will not hesitate to march on over to the ministry and grab that crouch by the ear!"

            harry, ron, elara, and hermione managed to escape upstairs where harry had informed them that his scar hurt again while he was at privet drive. hermione gasped and started making suggestions at once. elara placed her hands on her hips and stared at harry. there was more to the story than he was letting on. ron looked dumbfounded.

            "but — he wasn't there, was he? you-know-who? i mean —last time your scar kept hurting, he was at hogwarts, wasn't he?"

            "i'm sure he wasn't on privet drive," said harry. "but i was dreaming about him . . . him and peter — you know, wormtail. i can't remember all of it now, but they were plotting to kill . . .someone."

            elara blanched ever so slightly. she'd had that dream around two weeks ago. she very well knew harry was lying. she narrowed her eyes slightly.

            "it was only a dream," said ron bracingly. "just a nightmare."

            "yeah, but was it, though?" said harry, turning to look out of the window at the brightening sky. "it's weird, isn't it? . . . my scar hurts, and three days later the death eaters are on the march, and voldemort's sign's up in the sky again."

            "don't — say — his — name!" ron hissed through gritted teeth.

            "and remember what professor trelawney said?" harry went on, ignoring ron. "at the end of last year?"

            professor trelawney was their divination teacher at hogwarts. hermione's terrified look vanished as she let out a derisive snort.

            "oh harry, you aren't going to pay attention to anything that old fraud says?"

            "you weren't there," said harry. "you didn't hear her. this time was different. i told you, she went into a trance — a real one. and she said the dark lord would rise again . . . greater and more terrible than ever before . . . and he'd manage it because his servant was going to go back to him . . . and that night wormtail escaped."