XLIX ; kings cross

* * *

            ELARA DIDN'T UNDERSTAND WHY SHE AND HARRY HAD TO GO TO KINGS CROSS WITH A GUARD. voldemort or his death eaters weren't dim enough to attack either of them in broad daylight. but elara supposed it was to grant some in the order peace of mind. on the bright side, they got to travel with nymphie and sirius (who was in his animagus form, of course) so the journey was entertaining. the dog would snap at pigeons, scare cats, and chase its tail much to elara's and harry's entertainment. 

            once inside the station they lingered casually beside the barrier between platforms nine and ten until the coast was clear, then each of them leaned against it in turn and fell easily through onto platform nine and three quarters, where the hogwarts express stood belching sooty steam over a platform packed with departing students and their families.

            "i hope the others make it in time," said mrs. weasley anxiously, staring behind her at the wrought-iron arch spanning the platform, through which new arrivals would come.

            "hey, nice dog you two!" called a tall boy with dreadlocks.

            "thanks, lee," said harry and elara, grinning, as sirius wagged his tail frantically.

            "oh good," said mrs. weasley, sounding relieved, "here's alastor with the luggage, look . . ."

            a porter's cap pulled low over his mismatched eyes, moody came limping through the archway pushing a cart full of their trunks.

            "all okay," he muttered to mrs. weasley and tonks. "don't think we were followed. . . ."

            seconds later, mr. weasley emerged onto the platform with ron and hermione. they had almost unloaded moody's luggage cart when fred, george, and ginny turned up with lupin.

            "no trouble?" growled moody.

            "nothing," said lupin.

            "i'll still be reporting sturgis to dumbledore," said moody. "that's the second time he's not turned up in a week. getting as unreliable as mundungus."

            "well, look after yourselves," said lupin, shaking hands all round. He reached Harry and elara last and gave them a claps on the shoulder. "especially you two. be careful."

            "yeah, keep your head down and your eyes peeled," said moody, shaking their hands too. "and don't forget, all of you — careful what you put in writing. if in doubt, don't put it in a letter at all."