9. The clicking of heels

A week had passed since the former ghost regained a vessel. He had slowly got used to walking and moving. Although it was difficult, he was happy to enjoy life again. His seven friends had helped him tidy his room and he was excited to experience all the wonders of life he had missed.

"You're getting good at this! One day you'll be able to beat me."
Jungkook smirked as Y/n won a race against Taehyung in Mario Kart.
"You really thinks so?"
"Of course! You're already kicking Tae's ass, who knows how good you'll be in a month or two!"
Tae pouted as he watched the highlights of the races.
"I want a rematch! Baby peach was clearly targeting me."
"First of all, she was a cpu so she couldn't have been targeting you and-"
A loud creaking sound interrupted Tae. It sounded like it had come from upstairs.
"Maybe it's Yoongi hyung?"
Jungkook asked but Y/n shook his head.
"I saw him leave with the others earlier."
"It could just be an old floor board."
None of the boys seemed content with that explanation but they questioned the sound no further.

The worry building inside them stuck with them until the others came home.
"We brought pizza back with us!"
Jin exclaimed as he entered the room. The three youngest boys quickly pushed the worry to the back of their minds, distracted by the thought of pizza.

As they feasted on the pizza, they spoke about their day.
"Namjoon knocked over a mannequin and the manager kicked him out. He had to wait outside until we had payed."
"It was lonely out there!"
He pretended to cry and the others laughed.

Click.
Click.
Click.

"What was that?"
The eight boys looked around in confusion.

Click.
Click.
Click.

They stayed quiet to try and locate the sound.
"It sounds like it's coming from upstairs."
Yoongi broke the silence.
"What is it though?"
Hobi asked the question they were all thinking off.
"It sounds like someone's walking about. You know those shoes that business men wear, the ones with those heels. It sounds like those."
Jimin thought aloud. Y/n began to shake.
"Don't say that."
They looked at Y/n with confusion.
"It's nothing. It can't be anything. We're probably just stressed. Or maybe we're sleep deprived."
They gave the boy a questioning look before Yoongi spoke up.
"We should just go upstairs and check. If it's an intruder then surely he won't be able to take on all eight of us."

The walk up the stairs felt longer than usual. Each step seemed to creak and it filled the boys with a sense of unease.

Click. Click. Click. Click. Click. Click.

The clicking became louder and quicker. Y/n latched on to Yoongi's arm, sensing a familiarity in the sound.

CLICK CLICK CLICK!

Silence.

As the eight boys reached the top of the stairs, they looked down each end of the hallway. The sound had stopped. An eerie stillness had fallen over the house though it only added to the overwhelming dread all of the boys felt.

As the seven eldest went to walk downstairs, they paused. Y/n stared toward his room, his face frozen with a look of pure horror.
"What's wrong?"
Yoongi asked.
"My door is open. I always lock it when I'm not in it. Always."
The door was slightly ajar but Y/n noticed it instantly.
"Maybe you forgot?"
"I saw him lock it earlier hyung."
Tae spoke with a trembly voice.

Click...
Click...
Click...

Y/n's eyes welled up with tears of fright. The sound was coming from his room.
"We'll all go check it out together."
Namjoon tried to sound confident in an attempt to calm his friends though they knew he was afraid.

They held their breath with anticipation as they pulled the door open.
"See, there's nothing here. We're all over thinking."
Namjoon sighed as they all looked around the room to confirm it was untouched. Once they were certain it was safe, they returned to their pizza.

The uneasy feeling never left them. It was in the back of their minds for the rest of the night. When it came time to sleep, Y/n was quick to accept Yoongi's offer to stay with him.

'The morning will be better. I'm just overthinking.'

Y/n didn't sleep that night. He laid awake, watching every shadow as Yoongi slept by his side.