The Best Antidote: *ahem* Kissing and Milkshakes

After weeks of worry, the Nameis case was done.

I stepped through my front door with a heavy sigh. Eric and Amrita echoed me, following inside.

The police arrived within minutes of Amrita deciding drowning was our only hope, and their entry was our signal to leave. (Too many of my freed classmates pulled out phones and started filming Amrita.) To my shock and relief, Lauren said nothing about Eric or me. And before long, the police had her secured.

I took off my shoes and moved over to my couch, groaning. I clutched an arm over my stomach. Eric hurried to my side. He gave me his hand, steadying me as I sat down.

"Thank you," I slumped against the pillows. "Ugh, I am so glad that is over."

"Agreed," Amrita made a face at her hands. "Now, I'd love to sit around and chat, but I need to drown the scientist who messed this up. I'll see you later."

I laughed and waved, "Have fun."

"Will do. Get yourself to a doctor."

I opened my mouth to protest, but Eric stepped forward.

"I'll make sure of it."

I gave him a look, but he smiled. Amrita winked and gave him a thumbs-up.

"You're a good guy for her, Eric."

"Amrita!" I hissed my face heating.

"Amrita," Eric sighed.

"What? You two need a nudge," she slung her bag over her shoulder. "I'll see you two losers later."

"I hate you," I called as she stepped towards the door.

"I know!" She sang back.

She blew me a kiss and left the house. The room fell dead silent. My face burned like I had stood in the L.A. sun for three hours. I looked down at my bleeding stomach and made a face.

"She's right," Eric sat beside me.

I quirked an eyebrow.

"We need to talk," he licked his lips. "And get you to a hospital."

I groaned, "Okay..."

"What's the groan for?" Eric smiled nervously. "Talking or hospital?"

"Both are awkward and hard to navigate. I'm not good with awkward."

"It doesn't have to be awkward. Just...let's be honest. I care too much about you to be otherwise."

"Okay," I repeated, sitting up straight.

Honest. Honest, I could handle. Blunt and bold. Yes.

"I'm falling in love with you," I blurted.

Eric's mouth fell open. Nervousness shot through my gut. I tried to chuckle.

"Uh...oops. I think...I think you should probably take me to the hospital now," I looked away, my heated face growing hotter. "I've...uh...lost a lot of blood. Clearly."

"Kim," Eric breathed out a husky laugh.

He slid his fingers under my chin and turned my gaze back to him. His eyes utterly captivated me. A smile crawled its way across my face.

"You are so...," he shook his head, moving his hand to my cheek. "You're the greatest gift of my life. You're my partner in so many ways. And...I don't want that to be limited to work."

"Definitely not," I breathed, my skin lighting like fire under his fingers.

"I've fallen for you so hard. My hardworking, fiery -."