3 - August 3rd 2020

Briar Woodard had a very stupid name. He could have been made fun of for this, but instead he turned the joke on himself. At this point in time, the senior was sure to win the class clown superlative in the senior year book. Even better, the female class clown winner was sure to be his girlfriend Guinevere Page, or Vera for short. They were a comedy duo to end all comedy duos. They were also the teacher's worst nightmares.

     The laughs they shared together were melodic. It was as if their very souls were intertwined into not and twists impossible to untie. The Gordian Knot. That's what they were like. From far away people could look their way in the library and see Briar glancing at Vera with her blue contacts and natural African hair in a long afro on her head. Her skin was smooth and brown like allspice. He looked at her as if she were a work of fine sculpting. He studied her as she actually studied, a sense of humor not meaning a lack of good grades (for her anyways.) She was his everything, his queen, his life. What's more? She felt the same exact way.

     She to would sneak her glances at him when he wasn't looking. He'd catch her and they'd snicker, having been dating since junior high and still behaving as if it was odd to find the other attractive. They laughed so much. They made others laugh so much. But when they were together, making each other laugh, they would go on for minutes which turn into hours which feel like an eternity and a millisecond at the same time. They would laugh until their stomach's hurt and then still. It was what bonded them. What made them, them.

     And so there was no other couple at the start of that year that could even compete with those to for both the class clown and cutest couple superlatives. Everyone in the school found some kind of sweetness, comfort, or even slight jealousy in the love that Briar and Vera shared. It was as if everyone could hold appreciating for them, since they allow them to have a laugh, and they show them on a daily basis that true love is possible to find. They were it.

    But wait. What if... what if it wasn't like that. Not really. In fact, that truly is not how it really is. That is what people see. Briar and Vera are not a flawless of lovers as they seem. In their senior year at Fairfield High, it was about to get a whole lot harder. A whole lot harder to hide it. ~ 3