E I G H T ~ L E G A L

J A C K S O N

~ ~ ~

Today was the big day.

Nerida's 18th birthday.

After today, I was no longer Nerida's foster parent as she's now 'grown out' of the system. My baby was an adult now, and I genuinely felt like a proud yet worried parent.

I was proud that she's survived all the trials of her childhood and made it this far. But hell if I wasn't worried about her. As a legal adult, Nerida was warranted to make her own decisions. I couldn't make her stay here if she didn't want to, regardless of how much I wanted to keep her safe.

However, I didn't want to think of all this negativity on her special day. So I pushed it to the back of my mind and continued preparing her favorite breakfast. Waffles with every possible topping. As a bonus, I even put ice cream.

I balanced everything on the tray and walked back to my bedroom where Nerida was still knocked out. I placed the food on the dresser and sat on the edge of the bed, reaching over to brush her curls away from her face.

She shuffled around and latched onto my arm, hugging it to her body.

"Hey birthday girl," I murmured, receiving a sleepy whine in return. I lifted her off the bed and placed her on my lap, knowing that she secretly loved to be woken up like this.

I started humming the birthday song as she rubbed her eyes with both fists. I hugged her tightly, placing a kiss on her forehead.

As if now putting two and two together, Nerida perked up with a squeal and threw us down to the bed.

"It's my birthday!"

The smile on her face was blinding and I was completely enchanted by her. All her hair fell forward, blanketing me in her velvety curls and giving me the most amazing close up. This was heaven, I was sure of it.

"Happy Birthday Nerida," I wished as I placed my hand on her back and sat up. "You birthday ice cream is melting," I teased, watching as her eyes dilated.

"I get ice cream for breakfast on my birthday?"

"Even better," I smirked and nodded towards the dresser. She dived off of my lap for the food and immediately dug in. I told her to enjoy her breakfast and get ready for today, and I'll be waiting for her in the living room.

Thirty minutes later, Nerida joined me on our couch but she'd changed out of her previous pajamas and into new ones.

"Neri, why are you wearing your pajamas?"

"Because, on every special day you have to wear your pajamas all day. Like for Christmas and New Years and St. Patty's Day."

I threw my head back and asked the big man upstairs to give me strength.

"Okay, I'll be right back."

When I was changed into pajamas, we took a seat on the couch and I began telling Nerida about the plans for today.

"Before I start, here's your first present." I handed her the tiny white box and she shrieked with joy. This girl had a serious love for receiving gifts.