Four

Lisa arrives at work fifteen minutes early. The first thing she does is prepare his coffee. It now only takes her eight minutes to do and right after, she leaves to his office.
“Morning Monalisa.” Nathan says
.“Glad to see you up on your feet. You have tons of work waiting for you and you might end up working late tonight and over the weekend.”
He’s not even looking at her. She places his coffee down then leaves to her desk. She buries herself in her work. It includes replying to emails, doing admin work like filling reports and typing minutes.
“Hey Lisa, this came for you.” says Rachel the floor receptionist.
“Me?” Lisa asks and nosey Rachel nods.
She takes the huge bouquet of Pink roses, a jewellery box and a slab of her favourite Lindt dark chocolate.
“There’s a note.” Rachel says, still standing by her next.
“Don’t you have work to do?” Lisa asks a little annoyed.
The blonde woman just rolls her brown eyes and retreats to her work station. Lisa doesn’t bother reading the note since she knows who sent the gifts. She’s mad that he’d pull something like this which will give her colleagues more to link to her name. Her telephone rings and it’s Mr Willemse calling her to his office. She gets up immediately and goes through.
“Sir?” she asks, standing in the middle of his office.
“i need you to order me some lunch. My wife won’t be able to bring me something. Also clear my diary because I’ll be on leave as of tomorrow for three months.”
His wife will be giving birth any time soon and he wants to be there when it happens and bond with their third born after his birth.
“Does this mean I won’t be coming in to work?” she asks, the idea appealing.
“You would be starting with your management assistant course and you might need to still sit in on meetings for me and forward the minutes to my personal email.”
“Uhm, will there be an acting CEO or something?” Lisa asks and he lifts his head to face her.
“There might be. You’re excused.” he says and turns his focus to his laptop.
She walks back to her desk and continues with work. It’s during lunch now and though she’s ordered lunch for her boss, she didn’t order for herself. All she’s had is the slab of chocolate Bonnie sent which didn’t do much for her hunger. However, she’s used to working through lunch so it’s nothing new for her.
****
Nathan decides to pass by his twin’s house before going home. He left work early so he won’t get into much trouble with his wife. She knows exactly what time he must be off work and how long it takes him to get home. She doesn’t take shit when it comes to her family so the man knows missing dinner is a no-no and that work cannot be used as an excuse because family comes first.
“Oh wow, you finally remembered you have someone who looks like you somewhere out there,” Ethan says soon as he gets in the living room. The replica is on the floor building a house using blocks with his son.
“I was with you like last week.” Nathan replies nonchalantly.
“Yeah yeah, whatever. How’s Jessica and the twins?”
“Good which is why I can’t be here any longer. She’d kill me if I missed dinner,” Nathan says as he sits, taking Logan onto his lap.
“What do you want?” Ethan asks as he sits next to him on the couch. He knows Nathan wouldn’t risk his wife’s wrath for nothing. Not even for missing his twin.
“I’m going on leave man and I was thinking you step in for me in my absence. You don’t really need to be at the firm since Lexy is there.”
“Oh that. When are you taking this leave?” Ethan asks and Nathan already knows he doesn’t need to convince him.
“Tomorrow. You don’t have to come in everyday, just two or three times a week.”
“Two or three times of dealing with your bitchy assistant? I’ll need vodka for that.” Ethan says, making Nathan chuckle.
“You haven’t even met her. thank you, I knew I could rely on you.” Nathan says and the two hug it out.
“You thought I’ll refuse because you would if the roles were reversed, huh” Ethan says, and Nathan knows he can’t deny that, so he chuckles instead. “So unreliable,” he murmurs.
“That place reminds me too much of dad, I still can’t.” Nathan says and Ethan nods in understanding.
He arrives home just in time for dinner and since she tracked down his location, Jessica lets it go because she wouldn’t fight with him over his brother.
“Where’s mom?” Nathan asks as he sits in their dining table.
“She’s sleeping, wasn’t feeling well. She’s coming down with flu,” Jessie replies.
“Did she agree to take something?” he asks, knowing how stubborn Miley can be when it comes to medication.
“She did and yes, she ate before that. You should stop treating her like a child. You’re her son, not her father.”
Nathan chuckles, “Did she asks you to talk to me?”
Jessie nods yes with a giggle. “She hates it. You’ve been like that since… you know”
“And it’s not going to change, where are my kids?”
As if on cue, the two come running down the stairs and immediately jump onto their father’s lap.
They show him what they did in school after dinner before they're tucked into bed. Since his wife got into the last trimester, he's tried to make sure she does as less as she can. She gets stubborn sometimes though but he's always able to put her back in line. He reads the kids a bedtime story and when the boy and girl finally doze off, he goes out and joins his wife in their bedroom.
"So, how's Ethan?" Jessica asks as he massages her feet before bed. It's something he does every night and has done since their first pregnancy.
"He's good. He agreed to check on the company in my absence. You know I don't trust anyone else." Nathan replies.
"Even though you wouldn't do the same for him?" She asks.
"He has you and Lexy, who do I have?"
"Don't you think it's been a long time? It's been more than five years babe," Jessi says, knowing her head might get bit off for this.
"I'm sleeping," Nathan replies, letting go of her feet and turning the side lamp off.
Jessi doesn't say anything as she also turns to her side and the two doze off some time after, Nathan first.