Thirty-two

“You attack people now Amo? Why did I have to get a call from my brother telling me you’re causing a fucking scene like you’re not a grown woman?!” Ethan grunts inside the car. Nathan called him to fetch his wife who’d threatened to go back to Lisa to finish what she started. Nathan let Lisa go home so she won’t have to deal with any of his brother’s wife’s drama.
“She took everything away from me!” Amo bellows.
“No one took anything from you. You’re the one who wants to leave me.”
“Because you chose her over me!”
“You’re the one who gave me an ultimatum. What are you going to do if she presses charges?” Ethan asks, knowing it’s a possibility he wouldn’t allow to happen.
“You’ll represent me in court then. It’s the least you can do after breaking my heart,” Amo says.
“I wonder why it’s so easy for you to leave me. it’s like you waited for an opportunity you’d use as an excuse to. How long have you been planning it?” Ethan asks. He’s pulled over so they can talk with his eyes on her.
“Excuse me? you’re making it my fault that you cheated and went as far as proposing and impregnating the mistress?”
“Stop digressing. You’ve never been impulsive Amo so tell me why you want to leave me. is there someone else?” Ethan asks which makes her scoff.
“Really Ethan?” Amo asks in disbelief.
“When was the last time you and I shared a bed? When last did we even kiss? You’ve been strange way before Lisa happened. I’m giving you an opportunity to come clean now,” Ethan says.
“I am not going to allow you to make it my fault!” Amo screams.
“Don’t you dare shout at me when we’re in proximity and there’s only two of us here. Why’re you throwing a fit if you didn’t do anything?”
“The fact that you’re even asking bothers me. all I did was be loyal to your arse and love you then you have the guts to accuse me of infidelity. How dare you”
He nods with a scoff. “How dare I, huh? Fine, you’re perfect. I hope whoever you’re hiding loves you as much as I love Lisa. I hope he didn’t give you promises to get you from me and break your heart. Trust me when I say this Amo, the Williamses have enemies as many as the stars in the sky.”
He starts the car after saying that and it’s silent until they get to their home.
“I know I’m not your fan but you can’t just up and leave without even calling the kids. They’ve been asking about you so you owe them some answers.” Ethan says then gets out of the car. He calls Lisa on the way into the house whose phone goes straight to voicemail, halting his steps. Amo bumps into his back then clicks her tongue. She didn’t imagine being back at this place but she also knows she didn’t do right by her kids. Logan is only a few months older than Leigh-Anne and Mpho isn’t as forward as Rose so they’re too young to understand. She knows her mind is made up but she’s also scared about living without her kids.
“I have to go,” Ethan says while turning on his heels.
“To check on your little fiancée? I should have really fucked her up,” Amo says but he doesn’t pay her any mind. He continues his retreat, getting into his car when he’s outside then driving to Lisa. He uses his keys to open, finding her cuddled up on a cushion on her couch.
“I tried calling,” Ethan says.
“Yeah, my phone is off” Lisa says with her eyes on her TV.
“I’m sorry about what Amo did. Nathan told me she slapped you and about the commotion she caused at your work,” Ethan says. He sits next to her and plants a kiss on her temple.
“It’s not your fault. She’s the one who slapped me, not you. If I liked drama, I would have pressed charges,” Lisa says.
“But, how are you?” Ethan asks and she turns to look at him with a blank expression.
“I’m fine. I just don’t want to stress because of the lives I’m carrying. I want to go past the first trimester. What your wife did was unacceptable Ethan so what I need from you now is assurance that it won’t happen again,” Lisa says.
“I get that you’re upset but where’s the respect? Since when do you give me orders? The Amo issue has been dealt with but I need you to mind your tone,” Ethan sternly says, and she gulps.
“I’m sorry” Lisa says, and he sighs.
“I don’t want you worrying or stressing. I got you baby and I’ll do anything to protect you,” he says.
“I know and I trust you. I’m sorry for speaking to you like that,” she says with a pout. He kisses those lips and engulfs her in an embrace.
He leaves her when she’s napping because he still must deal with Miranda. The last thing he wants is a repeat of the article. He also wants to find out her source so he can know why they’re after him and Lisa. The woman isn’t surprised to see her nemesis who locks the door after stepping into her office.
“Miss M, is it?” Ethan says while looking at her nonchalantly.
“The Williamse polygamist. I didn’t expect to be graced with your presence,” Miranda says.
“Really?” he mocks and she chuckles.
“Fine, you got me. I expected you sooner and more fired up. You must be going soft now,” she says.
“Cut your crap and give me a name,” Ethan says.
“And why would I do that?” she snaps and he snickers.
“You want to meet me in court Miranda? Is that what you want?”
“You wouldn’t,” she says while standing and he gives her a duh expression. “I can’t give you my source Ethan. I don’t work like that.”
“Who has gone soft now? You sound pathetic,” Ethan says. She usually puts on a fight before succumbing.
“Don’t mock me. I can post an apology, something but not my source,” Miranda says.
“A name Miranda, I’m not playing with you. I don’t have the time to pursue this while shutting this circus house of yours that keeps sticking its noise in people’s business.”
“Sofia. She used to work for your brother so he would know, now get out.”
“with pleasure,” Ethan says then retreats. He drives to Nathan’s house after. Jessica is the one who opens for him.
“You have guts,” she says while opening the door wider for him. She has Niel on her arms who’s sucking on his pacifier.
“Where’s your husband?” Ethan asks while looking around the house like it’s his first time there.
“He’ll be here anytime soon. How could you do Amo like that?” Jessi asks while getting agitated.
“Don’t involve yourself in this Viper. It’s none of your business,” Ethan says and she scoffs.
“None of my business, huh. While my best friend came crying to me because of your shit. You’re too damn grown for all this bullshit. She should have never married you!”
“No cursing in my son’s presence,” Ethan scolds and she rolls her eyes.
“My son doesn’t have a man whore for a father,” she says and Ethan chuckles. If only she knew. Nathan arrives a few minutes after, finding his wife bickering with his twin while holding their son who’s just quiet.
“Really guys? I could hear you from the driveway.” Nathan says.
“Your wife’s fault, not mine. I need to talk to you about something,” Ethan cuts straight to the chase.
“What about?” Nathan says.
“A Sofia,” the bearded twin says.
“What about her?” Nathan asks, going into the kitchen with his twin on his tail.
“Miranda says she’s the source.”
And suddenly, the puzzle pieces itself together in Nathan’s mind. He’s surprised she’d stoop that low, but it makes sense now. He feels it was a low for her, but the woman probably thought of it as the best revenge. This will pass but would Ethan’s wrath be forgotten like the article?
“I fired her some months back after she spoke shit about me to Lisa, accused her of fucking me and all. she probably blamed Lisa for it and did it to get back to her. it makes sense now,” Nathan says.
“Were you fucking her?” Jessi asks and he looks back at her blankly. “What? I have to ask because you’re not a saint and I can’t put anything past Lisa now.”
“No,” Nathan retorts and she nods. There’s no way he’ll let her get away with such an accusation. “What are you going to do about her?”
“Nothing you need to worry about. I have to leave, greet the twins for me,” Ethan says then retreats. He’s going to deal with this Sofia chick himself and ensure that she doesn’t even dream of pulling such a stunt again.