Thirty-three

A/N: I know it's been a minute, been having data struggles. Things will only get calm when I get a phone so your patience will be appreciated until then, :)
**************

It’s two weeks after the ordeal and the last day of month July. Banele is back and will officially meet Rachel. The woman’s waiting for Lisa so they can knock off together. They’re going to clubbing and Ethan’s soon-to-be wife knows she can’t indulge. The man has been warning him since she informed him about the clubbing earlier this week. Lisa still doesn't know the source behind the  newspaper  article  and it's almost  like it never happened.
“Ready to go?” Lisa asks when she’s by her station and the blonde woman nods.
“I didn’t think your brother’s coming would get me this nervous but here am I,” Rachel nervously says and shrugs. “What if we don’t click?”
“Then wait until you’re drunk because alcohol fucks perception,” Lisa says.
“You can’t be cursing when you’re pregnant,” the woman teases which makes Lisa roll her eyes.
“You sound like Ethan now. Let’s go”
They walk side by side to the elevator down then to Lisa’s new car. It’s a cosy golf 7, charcoal in colour with grey leather sits and red rims. She calls it Brazy. Ethan had been mad she didn’t inform him about it, but she still declined when he offered to settle the remaining costs. Lisa wanted to pay for her first car, so she put her foot down.
“Don’t be nervous. The man doesn’t bite,” Lisa says as she opens the door to her apartment. She steps in with Rachel following in nervously. Her brother is in the kitchen and it looks like he’s not alone from the chatter. She walks in to find him with her fiancé while having beers in hand.
“Ah, I see what you have going on here,” Rachel whispers to her best friend who only giggles. Lisa goes to her fiancé, everyone else disappearing as the two kiss. They move to her bedroom while leaving Rachel standing awkwardly in the same spot. Banele watches her as she looks around while withholding laughter. He admits to himself that she’s more beautiful face-to-face.
“Oh, come here babe, I don’t bite,” the man finally says, and her eyes meet his. She blushes at the eye contact, looking around like it’s her first time there. “If you prefer to just stand there then it’s cool but I think it’d better if you joined me here so we can cut the awkwardness together.”
Rachel walks to the couch to put her bag down, takes off her heels and joins the man in the kitchen.
“So, what are you making?” she asks nervously.
“Bran, chocolate, banana and vanilla muffins. I’m craving them,” he says and winks.
“I thought Lisa is the pregnant one,” Rachel says and he shrugs.
“I have no idea what’s going on with me. I think it’s time I went to the doctor to check if I don’t have a female reproduction system inside or something. I’ve been having mad cravings,” he continues.
“Are you bisexual?” Rachel blurts and he chuckles, shaking his head.
“I don’t take dick but hey, you can never know.”
“Maybe you made someone pregnant,” she says with a shrug.
“Come on babe, we just met. There’s no way you’re already pregnant,” he says.
“No, really. It’s possible for the male to be the one having the morning sickness. It’s called couvade syndrome. You can google it if you don’t believe me,” she says then shrugs.
“No wait, it doesn’t change anything between us, right?” Banele says and she looks at him like he’s grown horns.
“Us? There’s no us!” Rachel says, a little louder than intended which makes him laugh.
“Yeah, nice one,” he says and laughs again.
“Why do you find this funny?” Rachel asks, feeling a little stupid because who wouldn’t if someone laughed at them like that.
“You wouldn’t be here if you weren’t about to me mine in the first place,” Banele says and shrugs.
“Oh really?” Rachel asks and he nods, biting his lip.
“Did she tell you I fuck on the first meet?” Banele asks and the blonde’s face heats up. Lisa mentioned something like that but she took it as a joke and now the man repeats it and she can’t trust her restraint around him.
“She did,” she says, trying not to give anything away. He smiles then scans her up and down.
“And you’re more pretty face-to-face”
Before Rachel can reply to that, they hear moaning which has Banele laughing.
“Yeah, it’s time for us to get out of here.”
He grabs Rachel’s hand and switches the oven off. He’ll resume when he comes back but he knows there’s no way he’ll listen to his little sister getting some.
“Where are we going?” Rachel asks when he opens his car door for her. the man doesn’t reply until she’s in and he’s starting the car.
“To get some food.” Banele says.
“Uh, I don’t have shoes on,” Rachel says, face red with embarrassment.
“Good thing we’re buying through drive-thru. I’ll also get some booze on the way. we need more beers,” Banele says then turns on the stereo.
*****
“How far are you with the planning?” Ethan asks after they’ve caught their breaths after their quickie. Lisa draws circles on his chest while fighting sleep. The pregnancy has her tired most of the time that even the sex tends to be exhausting. She wonders how they’ll manage when she’s in the third semester and yet hopes it won’t be hard.
“Uh, we’re still working on my dress design but so far, so good.” Lisa says with a yawn.
“You can sleep baby,” Ethan says while kissing the top of her head. The lobola negotiations were successful, Lisa’s father having agreed only because she’s in love. They even got to speak of her mother and how she felt she was betraying her by even talking to him. they got to iron somethings out though and are working on rebuilding their relationship. In time, she’ll get to trying to accept the woman his father left her mother for so for now, she’s working on not hating her. Amo has officially moved out but hasn’t filled the divorce yet. She wants more time to think about it, which Ethan has let her have but she knows there’s no way she’ll witness her husband take another wife. He’s spending more time with Lisa and Lexy now and he’s finding that it’s been good knowing the second wife all over again.
They take a shower after Lisa’s nap, having one more round in it before she dresses up for the club and he, to leave.
“Don’t put yourself in a situation that’ll put the babies in any risk. You’re carrying two lives and-”
“I know and I love our babies Ethan. You need to stop worrying,” Lisa says and he shakes his head.
“That’s never going to happen. We’re meeting with the estate agent tomorrow so don’t forget. I want the house built by the time you give birth. We have to move in shortly after the wedding,” Ethan says.
“And Lexy?” Lisa asks and he sighs.
“She’ll be there. It’s inevitable because she’ll also live there so it’s only fair that we include her.” Ethan says and his fiancée nods in understanding.
“MONALISA!” Banele shouts.
“COMING!” she shouts back so her and Ethan share a last kiss. They walk out to find the two in the kitchen with Banele feeding Rach a warm muffin.
“Oh, how nice,” Lisa says while folding her arms.
“Walk your man out lady,” Banele says and she does as he says. She walks him to his car, having one more kiss then goes back to her apartment. They have the food Banele bought and she also gets to stuff her face with muffins. Her appetite has been resuscitated so she’s always hungry. She worries about gaining weight but also knows that she must for the sake of the lives she’s carrying.
“Are you leaving like that?” Lisa asks Rachel who then remembers she’s still in her work, formal wear.
“Uhm, no. I’ll quickly go change,” Rachel says.
“And loosen that hair. We’re going clubbing for god’s sake.”
She chuckles as she walks to Lisa’s room.
“And?” Lisa asks the minute the blonde woman closes the door.
“And what?” Banele asks, feigning innocence. He knows what she’s asking but wants to hear her say it.
“Are you clicking?”
“She’s a cool girl, the crazy a nigger needs in his life. She just mentioned some shit about couvade syndrome and the thought of Thuso being pregnant with my child irks me. I thought I’m rid of her,” Banele says then sighs.
“I hate to say this bro, but she might not keep it, not when she’s with Bonnie,” Lisa says.
“There’s also that. I know I have to see her soon though and that’s what sucks. she’s drained so much of my energy”
“I can go with you if you want,” Lisa says but he shakes his head.
“I’m the one who should protect you, not the other way around. Just imagine us having kids around the same time, it’d be awesome.”
“Yeah, it will,” Lisa says and the two smile as they think of it. Rachel finds them wearing those smiles and squints her eyes.
“And then?” she asks and when he sees her, his jaw drops.
“Woah,” Lisa says which has Rachel giggling shyly.
“Did I take long?” she asks while walking to where they are.
“Uh no, hell no. you look hot, sexy as hell. Didn’t think you’re hiding such thickness in those formal dresses you like,” Lisa says.
“Thank you. Can we go?” Rachel says and Banele nods, unable to get any words out. She’s wearing a black freakum dress. It’s backless, above the knees and tight. She’s matched it with black red bottoms and red lipstick to go with the bottoms.
“Banele?” Lisa calls and he coughs a bit.
“Sorry but damn, that’s one way to have my eyes on you all night. Let’s go girls”