Chapter 10: Shimmer Jimmer

Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl,
and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering.

Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl,and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering

A N N A B E T H

"Can I give you a nickname?"

"Absolutely the fuck not."

"Why not?" my lips turn downwards, "I could introduce you to people like- 'Give it up for my boy: Jambo-Rambo, the grumpiest dudebro in town.' Wouldn't that be the coolest?"

"I will leave you on the side of the road."

As if. He was the one that offered to walk me in the first place. 

Okay- he didn't offer to walk me back, he told me he was walking me back, and he gave me a look that said I wasn't allowed to argue with that, but I'll take what I can get.

"C'mon Jammer Hammer," I drawl teasingly, "Don't be like that."

He looked like he wanted to throw me into oncoming traffic.

"This," he says with a sharp inhale, "is why I think you're a little shit."

"See, you call me that," I point accusingly at him, "You have a nickname for me, why can't I have one for you Jimmy boy?"

He glares down at me.

"Well, Shimmer Jimmer," I tell him, with a completely straight face- doing my absolute best not to smile, "It's either a nickname, or your full name. James Jordan Jackson."

"Neither," he grits out, "don't call me anything at all."

"I can always add more J-names to the end of your full name," I threaten, wiggling my finger in his direction, "I'll make it James Jordan Jackson Jefferson Joseph Jesus J-"

"Jesus?!"

"Oh yes," I nod at him, wide-eyed, "That would make you the official...." I drag the word out and pause for dramatic effect,

"J-man."

"You absolute little shit."

I give him a big smile, nudging him with my elbow. "What kind of partner would I be if I didn't annoy you just a tiny little bit?"

"Just a tiny little bit?" he echoes, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

"At least I don't annoy you as much as your friends," I point out.

He opens his mouth as if he was about to argue, but after a pause he closes it again.

"For once," he concedes, almost unwillingly, "I have to agree with that."

I give him a victorious smile and he rolls his eyes in response. "Look at us, getting along like old pals-"

"Do not call me your pal."