Chapter 28: Oh Well

And when love speaks,

The voice of all the gods

Makes heaven drowsy

With the harmony.

A N N A B E T H

I have always chosen to steer clear of the emotion hate, purely because of what the depth of this very feeling could lead to.

That certainly didn't mean that I was opposed to disliking people.

So, at this exact moment, there are three people in this world that I really, really dislike. If I were to list them from the person that I disliked the least to the person I disliked the most, it would be:

One, the guy who made me drop my ice cream, after that extra-long shift that I had to work at the diner yesterday,

Two, Ralph Reynolds,

And three, Yvonne Irvine.

Shocker, right? I disliked someone more than I disliked Ralph freaking Reynolds

I don't blame you for being surprised, it's something a lot of people didn't think was possible.

Who is this person? And what kind of sorcery has she performed to get you to dislike her more than you dislike a certain blonde jerk? 

If that's what you're wondering, I'll put it in simple words: Yvonne Irvine, Clifford's resident (somewhat stereotypical) Queen Bee, is...not a very nice person.

If you'd like some context as to where some of this dislike stems from, Yvonne was Obby's girlfriend.

The one who slept with Ralph, my twin brother's supposed best friend, on the exact same day Ralph told me that he liked me and asked me to be his girlfriend.

...Yeah.

So, when I say that her hovering presence on this Monday morning was the last thing I needed, I really meant it.

My current mood: all of a sudden I hear this agitating, grating voice-

"Annabeth, hey girlie!" an overly friendly voice says, and I all but beg the ground to open up and swallow me there. 

You know those girls who absolutely hate you, know that you know that they hate you, and still pretend to be overly friendly as if they're your best friends when they're right in front of you?

That's Yvonne. Faux friendliness was her thing.

I force a smile as I turn to her. "Yvonne, hi."

She gives me a once-over that has me questioning my outfit, before she smiles brightly at me.