2 | the heart wants what it wants

You got me scattered in pieces

Shining like stars and screaming

Lighting me up like Venus

But then you disappear and make me wait

2

He stumbled more than three times before he finally reached me.

How drunk was he?

Behind him, his friends drove away. He stood in front of me with a goofy smile on his face.

'What are you doing here?' I asked incredulously.

He was still smiling that silly drunken smile when he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me to his chest. 'I missed you,' he spoke into my hair.

Yeah, right. I took a deep breath before trying to squirm my way out of his hold. His familiar cologne invaded my senses along with a hint of alcohol. He dropped a kiss on the crown of my head before letting me go.

I crossed my arms over my chest and stared him down.

'Hey,' he said giving me a cheeky smile. The one he used when he knew he was in trouble and wanted to charm his way out of it.

I tried really hard to stay mad at him. Even reminded myself how he had been a shit boyfriend these past few weeks. But it was hard to stay mad at him for long. Besides, I had a hard time staying mad at anyone for long.

'What is this?' I demanded, waving a hand at his appearance even though there was hardly anything wrong with it. He wasn't one of the most popular guys for his thoughtfulness and general kindness after all.

He looked down at himself then looked up at me through his lashes. My heart tripped as he smirked. He licked his lower lip slowly. 'Something you want a piece of?' he said lowering his voice, taking a step towards me. He had little chance of stealing any kisses tonight.

I rolled my eyes at his attempt at drunken seduction. 'Fuck off,' I said and turned towards the front door. He followed me inside and I locked the door behind him, knowing he wasn't going to his home tonight. At least, not in the condition he was in.

He plopped down on the couch in the living room and laid his head back, closing his eyes.

I sat on a rocking chair and folded my knees up to my chest, wrapping my arms around them. When he didn't say anything for a while I spoke up.

'You know what time is it?'

He opened one eye then reached into his jeans pocket and took out his phone. 'After midnight,' he deadpanned.

I wouldn't lie. I was tempted to facepalm. 'Don't you think you're a little late for our date?'

'About that...' he grimaced.

I waited as he chose his words carefully.

'I swear, I was gonna make it but then something came up,' he said.

'Like your friends,' I nodded sarcastically as if his excuse was perfectly acceptable.

He suddenly stood up and crossed the room to where I sat. He put his hands on the arms of the chair and leaned towards me, caging me. He stared into my eyes. I stared back into his strikingly green ones.

'You want to punish me for that?' he said in a husky voice.

My cheeks burned as I averted my eyes.