Ch. 3: Techno Reef

(If you liked this chapter, make sure to vote and comment. It makes me smile. :) Cover art is by the lovely MimiNicolette ! Stay safe and stay healthy!)

We finally came to a stop in front of the ocean. I hopped out of the angler bus completely confused. Where was techno reef? Where were the techno trolls?

"Hey mom! Where are the techno trolls?" I asked curiously. I was completely unaware of how upset she still was at me for creating that landslide back at Lonesome Flats.

"They are underwater, sweetie," my mother mumbled as she also hopped out of the bus.

Oh yeah...that would explain it...

"Now wait here, please, both of you," my mother said as she approached the edge of the water. She pulled out a shell from her bag and blew into it, creating a mesmerizing sound.

I could see the lights under the water flashing and pulsating to the beat of the music. Of course, I couldn't hear the music, but it was pleasing to look at nonetheless.

Suddenly, a figure rose from the ocean in front of my mother. I was shocked when I first saw him. He had blue skin, yellow eyes, and bright orange and white hair that was pulled back in a ponytail on the top of his head. The ponytail was being held together by a glowing purple and pink hair tie. He also had a beating, pink pixelated heart on his chest. But, the most fascinating part about him was that he didn't have any legs. Instead of legs, he had a gorgeous tail that was decorated in yellow, pixelated squares. He was truly a sight for sore eyes.

"Welcome, Queen Renee!" He said energetically. "I am Marin, King of the Techno trolls! I'm terribly sorry that my son couldn't welcome you as well, since he is continuing the party that I left to come here and meet you."

"That's perfectly alright," my mother said while motioning for us to come forward.

I ran forward until I was right next to mom. "Hey, King Marin, I have a question. It may be a dumb question, but I'm gonna ask you anyways."

"Go ahead, child. There is no such thing as a dumb question."

"How can you breathe out of the water?" I asked curiously.

King Marin laughed. "Well you see, child, us techno trolls were created to have our parties anyplace at anytime. Thus, our bodies adapt automatically to whatever conditions we are currently in."

"Ohhh, that makes much more sense!" I said excited.

King Marin then turned back to my mother. "Are these your daughters?" He asked curiously.

"Yes, they are," my mom said as she pulled me back towards her. She motioned to my sister. "This is my oldest daughter, Princess Katheryn. She's going to be turning 11 in a few weeks."

"Well happy early birthday, your grace," King Marin said as he bowed to my sister.

"Thank you, your majesty," my sister replied while nodding back at him.

My mother then hesitated a motion towards me, like she was afraid to introduce me. "And this is my youngest daughter, Princess Roxanne. She's 8."

"A pleasure to meet you, my lady," he said while bowing to me.

"The pleasure is mine, your majesty," I said happily as I bowed back to him.

"Now, Katheryn," my mother said. "Do you have anything you would like to discuss with the King?"

"Absolutely," my sister exclaimed.

I frowned. It seemed like this whole road trip was slowly turning into a way for Katie to learn more about her future role as queen. Mother wasn't even paying attention to me anymore! And that felt...terrible.

I sulked over to a nearby cluster of rocks, leaned up against one and sighed. So much for getting to hear different kinds of music. Throughout this entire trip, I haven't gotten to listen to any of the other trolls' music. Then again, I never asked. Crap!

Well, it was worth a shot. Maybe when I'm older I could visit the other tribes myself without supervision. At least I got to feel a little bit of the techo music on the beach. But, that was just the rumbling of the beat on the sand. I wanted to hear it. I wanted to FEEL it in my heart.

As I finally sat down on one of the rocks, I heard a small clicking sound. I froze. What was that?

King Marin must've heard it too, because his attention was now on me. "Um, princess, I wouldn't sit there if I were you." Mother saw me, rolled her eyes in annoyance, and started walking over to me.

"Come on, Roxy, you heard him. Get back over here."

"Why? I came here to listen to different music, and so far I haven't heard anything!" I was getting really worked up, but I couldn't help it. "So when you guys are done discussing boring adult stuff and actually let me do the one thing I came here to do, I'll be waiting for you right here," I said, right as the click sound stopped.

Ding!

Suddenly, I was flying through the air towards the water at high speed.

My mother gasped. "MY BABY!" She screamed as she ran after me.

As I crashed into the ocean, salt water began to go up my nose. It stung. I started coughing and choking as the water began to get in my mouth as well. Surprisingly though, when a wave of water got into my eyes, it didn't sting like I thought it was going to, so thankful I could still somewhat see what was happening back on the beach.

"What was that?!" I could hear my mother screech as she looked for a way to get me out of the water. Katie was just sort of frozen in shock.

"It's one of our camouflaged catapults," King Marin replied. "We have them hidden all over the shoreline. Sometimes, we use them to launch ourselves back into the ocean after we're on land for long periods of time. We like making a grand entrance." He smiled, completely oblivious to the fact that I was flailing around frantically.

"Well can you bring her back, please?" My mother was breathing heavily while pacing back and forth across the sand; her eyes were as big as saucers.

"Why are you so upset? Calm down. The current hasn't taken her out too far, so she can swim back safely without getting fatigued. It's no big deal," King Marin reassured her.

"Yes, it is a big deal!" My mother panicked. "Because none of us know how to swim!"