Chapter 1

The airport was one of the best places to people watch

There were families with cranky kids and moody teenagers, overexcited travelers, anxious flyers trying to calm their nerves before boarding, and those who were clearly hungover as they sat hunched over in sweats while nursing both a coffee and water.

Then there were people like me who were traveling alone and simply going through the motions.

Having flown out to San Francisco to be with my family for the holidays—which had been exactly the break I needed after not being back on the west coast for almost two years—I'd arrived at the airport a few hours before my flight home to give myself time to get through security, grab some food, and relax at my gate. Something I was now regretting, as my flight back to Boston had been delayed. It was going on the fifth hour I'd been sitting in an uncomfortable chair and I'd already run through the episodes I'd downloaded of Netflix's latest hit.

Hence the people watching.

With my headphones in—void of any music in an attempt to salvage what was left of my phone battery—and a lukewarm coffee in my hands, I let my attention wander.

I could hear the man who sat behind me having much too loud of a conversation on the phone, with someone I assumed to be a colleague, about his newest business venture. Words like investment, capital, and shareholders had me tuning out while also making me proud on some level this stranger was working so hard to get an idea off the ground.

Then there was the woman sitting beside me who, despite having to be at least double my age, didn't try to hide the fact that she was sexting someone named Jimmy. Something I wish I'd never had to see as I quickly averted my gaze from the extra large font on her screen.

Except doing so had me momentarily eyeing a couple at the end of the aisle, likely a few years younger than me, who were sharing a seat and making out like they were in the privacy of a bedroom and not surrounded by strangers.

But, I mean, if that made the time pass faster, all the power to them.

Feeling the awkwardness of watching another couple get it on wash over me, coupled on top of the slight prick of envy in my chest, I turned my head and tuned in to the conversation between the parents two rows ahead of me and their young children.

"But why do we have to wait so long?" the older of the two kids asked, looking to be around eight years old as he sat on the carpeted floor.

"Yeah, it's sunny outside. Why are they saying there's a storm?" the younger one pressed.

Which, to be fair, were valid questions for kids their age. Before either of their parents could answer, however, a voice crackled on the overhead speaker.

"Attention passengers aboard Flight 534 to Boston." A hush settled over the waiting area as everyone listened to the announcement, hoping we were finally able to board. "The flight's departure time has been pushed back to 7:00pm. Boarding will take place thirty minutes before, so please have your ticket ready at that time. Thank you."