Chapter 6

I shielded my face as best I could from the blowing snow as I turned away from my car, or sorry excuse for one, and saw someone climbing out of the vehicle in front of me

I shielded my face as best I could from the blowing snow as I turned away from my car, or sorry excuse for one, and saw someone climbing out of the vehicle in front of me. "Any chance you're with AAA?"

I'd called a couple of minutes ago and had been informed by an all-too-perky voice that it'd be at least forty-five minutes until they could get a person out here. Though one could hope.

"No, sorry," the person yelled, muffled by the weather, but their voice was deep enough for me to associate it with a man. "Do you need help?"

Shivering, I could only imagine what I looked like to those driving by. Bundled in a winter jacket that hung past my knees, a scarf wrapped multiple times around my neck, and my hair shoved underneath my hood, I could've passed as a giant marshmallow if only my coat had been white instead of navy blue. Or a roasted giant marshmallow, given the fact I was standing next to a smoking car.

But more importantly, I was a woman alone on the side of the highway after nightfall.

"I think I'm fine," I said, hoping whoever he was, he'd get the hint that I felt more comfortable waiting for roadside assistance by myself. "I—"

My next words got stuck in my throat as the man moved closer, giving me a better view of the familiar features that were like a punch to the gut. Especially his eyes, which were glazed with worry before flashing with recognition.

"D-Derrick?" My voice shook a little, whether it was due to shock or the cold, I couldn't tell.

It was hard to believe he was standing in front of me, after I'd spent the past two weeks trying my best to push our night together out of my mind. Clearly fate had decided today was the perfect day to put me through the wringer.

"Shit, Lia," he said, his worry deepening as he stopped a foot in front of me. His cheeks were flushed and wisps of black hair poked out from underneath his hat. "Are you okay?"

A moment lapsed between us as his eyes scanned over me, my brain catching up with the situation. "I'm fine," I replied, clearing my throat as I gestured backwards, "but my car isn't. Clearly."

Taking my words for what they were—the truth—some of his concern dissolved and one side of his mouth kicked upward. "Clearly."

"Yeah, I was on my way downtown to meet friends when I saw the smoke coming from the hood and I pulled over." I was rambling, I knew, but it was better than the alternative of awkward silence. "And it didn't stop when I turned the car off, so I have no idea what's going on, but as you heard, I called AAA and hopefully they can help me out when they get here."

"Do you know how long they'll be?"

"Oh—" I waved him off before crossing my arms over my chest. "—you know how it is when there's weather like this. They'll be here as soon as they can."

While he appeared to recognize my deflection of the truth, he didn't push. "Do your friends at least know you're out here?"

I bit my lip. "I may have just told them I couldn't make it out," I said. His gaze turned flat and I quickly continued, defending my actions. "I didn't want them worrying."