Chapter 15

How was your first night in your new city?

Pretty boring. Headed straight to the hotel the team is putting me up in for the next couple weeks until I find a place to live. But at least they had room service.

So you had a burger and fries before crashing is what you're saying?

How'd you know? 😜

We both know airplane food is shit. Plus, I figured you'd want some comfort food.

You're right on both accounts, but I've got to get going. Meeting with Royals management at eight.

Good luck! And talk to you later.

***

Well, first day as a Royal wasn't so bad. The guys seem chill and were quick to give me some pointers on how to acclimate to the city. Plus, my new coach is meeting with me 1-on-1 before practice tomorrow to go over the team's power play.

That's great!

Yeah, hopefully it'll be a good fit for me.

Are you just back in your hotel then?

Yup. A few guys brought me out to a local pizza place for dinner, but now I'm just watching Toronto whoop Florida's ass.

I'd believe it 😂

But hey, what about you? How's this mountain of work you said you had coming along? Find a way for life to survive on Mars yet? 👀

Haha, I wish. But it's... slow going. Basically, I may have found a way to combine two areas of focus in my department to reach the next level of research in the field, but I have to have concrete proof that it's viable to be able to include it in my defense.

Damn, and all I do every day is skate around with a stick and a puck.

You know you do a lot more than that.

I do, but it's definitely not as important. I'm going to leave you to your work while I try to get used to this time zone.

Good luck with that, considering you're traveling to St. Louis in two days.

Thanks for reminding me 🙃

***

Great game tonight!

Thanks (even though I know you saw me finding my footing in the first two periods)

Nobody expected you to be perfect your first night in a Royals jersey, but you got things under control and got an assist in the third – I'd call that a win 😊