Chapter 21

What a wild turn of events

When Lia had called, my first thought was that my surprise for her had arrived an hour early. Which wasn't that big of a deal. Hopping in my truck, I headed for home, keeping an eye on my phone as I waited for a text to come through filled with glee and excitement.

Except what she sent me instead was a short sentence full of confusion.

Were your parents... supposed to visit this weekend?

The answer? No. Definitely not.

My foot hit the gas a bit harder the rest of the way to my condo, thoroughly thrown about this hitch in my plans. I'd talked to my mom two days ago, after landing back on the west coast, and she'd not given me one clue that her and my dad were planning to come down for a visit. She'd certainly mentioned wanting to come to a game since I'd been traded to the Royals, but nothing concrete. Not tonight.

Once I'd parked in my building's underground lot, I totally disregarded the elevator and hit the stairs. Climbing two at a time, I continued up until I reached the eighth floor doorway, ignoring the slight burn in my thighs after this morning's practice as I all but stumbled into my door, throwing it open with haste.

I heard my mom's voice trail off at the noise, asking "Derrick, is that you?" right before I skidded to a stop. There on my couch sat Lia and my mom, my dad taking the chair to the side, and it was an image I certainly hadn't expected to come home too.

It was strange, but not wholly unwelcome.

"Yeah," I replied, pausing to take a breath as my eyes flitted between the three of them. "When did you guys get here?"

My attempt at being nonchalant and confident didn't quite take despite my best effort, as I could hear the dazed tone wrapped around my words.

"Twenty minutes ago, maybe," my mom said, looking to my dad for confirmation. To which he nodded. "We had a free weekend and thought we'd come down to surprise you. To watch your game and see your new place." Her gaze settled back on Lia. "We didn't know you had company though, or else we would've called ahead."

Lia was quick to hop in. "Like I said already Mrs. Wellsley, don't even worry about it."

Her voice was confident and airy, but I didn't miss the message her eyes sent me as she glanced back at me. The what-the-hell-is-going-on look that had me nervously rubbing the back of my neck.

"Well, uh, I'm sure you guys already went through introductions, but Lia, this is my mom and dad, and mom, dad, this is Lia... my girlfriend."

My mom stood, laughing with amusement as she walked over to give me a hug. "Well, I'd hope so, considering she seemed pretty at home when she answered the door. But why didn't you tell us you were dating someone?" she asked, pulling back to pat me on the cheek. "Especially someone as smart and beautiful as Lia?"