Shocking Everyone

"Didn't His Excellency marry that Bai Yu Yan? Who is she?"

"That's what I am thinking. Was His Excellency too ashamed to bring her and brought this beautiful lady instead?"

"Just look at her. Which woman could pull off all black like that?"

"Had it been any other woman, they'd have looked like a scary witch but this woman looks like a fairy in the dark."

"But why is His Excellency's face looking so dark?"

The carriage of the Bai family had just arrived when the gossip was going on in a full swing. In a cherry-pink dress, Bai Chun Hua alighted from the carriage in a graceful manner under the proud eyes of the Bai parents. The pearl accessory in her hair swayed as she walked down the carriage. Looking around with a gentle smile, she was waiting to be showered by compliments like usual. But upon careful hearing, the compliments didn't seem to be directed at her. In fact, no one even noticed her arrival.

Confused, she followed their eyes and spotted a royal blue carriage standing distinctly from the other carriages. Instantly, her eyes gleamed with excitement as she looked for its owner.

Lu Tong Xiao was wearing a black robe, looking tall and handsome as he stood beside the carriage. He seemed to have come alone as she didn't see Bai Yu Yan anywhere around. Chun Hua's heart soared with elation. As expected, His Excellency would never take a look at trash like that. Just as she was about to rush towards him in greeting, a figure came out from behind him. Chun Hua's feet stopped on its track. She looked in a daze as she realized he was holding hands with a woman. Both of them were wearing black like it was deliberately matched for the couple. His protective gesture could not be any more obvious.

Chun Hua's heart shattered like a broken mirror. Only then did she realize the discussion going on around her. They were not talking about her but the woman standing beside His Excellency. Chun Hua's nails embedded in her palm. Even if they didn't recognize her, how could she not? It was the very person she hated the most - Bai Yu Yan.

"Mei mei, you are here. Father, Mother", a voice woke her from daze. Bai Yu Yan was walking towards them with a sweet smile plastered on her face. After a short hesitation, Lu Tong Xiao also followed behind her.

When the voice dropped, the buzzing crowd went silent in a second.

Madame Bai couldn't hide her shock. She looked at the girl greeting them and couldn't react.

Fortunately, Master Bai quickly composed himself and nudged his wife. Although he was also stunned when the woman called him father, he recognized her. It was his daughter who he had deemed to be useless. Unexpectedly, she was married to the Prime Minister and now seems to have changed completely. Moreover, His Excellency's attitude towards her didn't seem unfavorable. He silently calculated in his mind, it would only be of gain to him. Thinking about it he laughed in delight.

After arriving, Lu Tong Xiao also gave a slight nod.

"Good, son-in-law", gleeful Master Bai nodded repeatedly, his small eyes disappearing from smiling too much. Unconsciously, he was about to pat on Tong Xiao's shoulder but remembering who he was, he quickly held back. Although this man was his son-in-law, he couldn't afford to be casual with him.

"Chun Hua greets Your Excellency!", a sweet voice came from beside Madame Bai. 

Bai Yu Yan looked at the little beauty who was trying hard to hide the admiration in her eyes and secretly laughed in her heart.

"Mei mei, your sister is right here and you didn't even notice her.", Bai Yu Yan pretended to be angry for being ignored. "And, why are you acting so distant with your brother-in-law? He is your BROTHER-IN-LAW, so just refer to him that way. You are my sister so I don't think he would mind it."

Everyone's eyes widened with shock. Sure enough, Bai Yu Yan had not changed. Even if her appearance had improved, her brain was still the same. His Excellency would surely be displeased.

Chun Hua secretly smiled. She pretended to look at Lu Tong Xiao in panic, expecting him to scold Bai Yu Yan. But even after waiting for half a day, he didn't speak a word, just calmly stood beside her.

"Your Excellency, let's go inside. It's time.", the eunuch who had been waiting to escort Lu Tong Xiao and Bai Yu Yan spoke at this time.

"Okay mei mei, see you inside", Bai Yu Yan gave a wink before following Tong Xiao.

As soon as they were escorted, another bout of discussion started outside.

On the way towards the palace garden, Lu Tong Xiao looked at the woman beside him who was chuckling mischievously. He thought about what she said earlier and asked, "Before telling your sister to call me brother-in-law, shouldn't you start with yourself first?" He remembered she was always so formal with him, calling him 'Your Excellency'.

Bai Yu Yan blinked her eyes. His words didn't make sense to her. She had already expected to offend this ancestor when she said that earlier. Still, she could not resist teasing Chun Hua. "Your Excellency, this wife was only joking with my mei mei. Actually, after hearing what everyone was saying, this wife wanted them to see that you treated this wife well. This way, those false rumors about us would stop so that the Lu manor would not be affected by it.", she fluently replied with her prepared answer.

Lu Tong Xiao frowned upon hearing her. He couldn't tell whether this woman really didn't understand his words or was trying to act ignorant. He took a deep breath to calm himself and didn't say anything further.

The banquet was being held in the palace garden. Hundreds of lanterns were hung on the tree branches. Colorful petals of cherry blossom floated on the surface of the pond. The surrounding air was intoxicated with the fragrance of the spring flowers.

All the noble families had arrived. The news of the earlier incident had already reached everyone's ears. So although they were prepared, when Lu Tong Xiao and Bai Yu Yan actually came together, her appearance still surprised them greatly. To hear from someone else and to look with one's own eyes was a huge difference. She looked like a moon in the night. Standing beside Lu Tong Xiao, who could say that Bai Yu Yan was unmatched for him?