Dine Together

Back in the Lu manor, Bai Yu Yan looked at chests of gold taels and other valuables that the emperor had gifted to her and Lu Tong Xiao in the spring banquet. As she was busy with the opening of her shop, she had nearly forgotten about these gifts from the emperor. But she remembered worrying her brain cells over if Lu Tong Xiao would give her half of all these riches. The emperor gave the gift to both of them, so logically, it should be equally shared between the two of them. However, she didn't know the custom of this time and if Lu Tong Xiao decided to keep it all for himself, she could only cry in her heart about it. But looking at the heavy chests that were not even opened, her heart did a little happy dance. It seemed that he didn't keep anything for himself and sent it all to her Autumn Courtyard.

There was a grandiose display of a row of guards bringing in the chests with imperial symbol engraving. The servants outside were stupefied when they saw the group of bulky guards carrying the heavy chests inside.

Apart from Xiao Fan who knew Lu Tong Xiao had come to Autumn Courtyard on the night he lent a coat to Yu Yan, everyone else thought that he had not even stepped on the Autumn Courtyard since he came back from Jin kingdom. To them, it directly implied her importance to Lu Tong Xiao and hence her power in the Lu manor. Although last time Lin Momo gave an implicit warning regarding the position of Bai Yu Yan as Madame Lu, they didn't take it seriously. But right now that Lu Tong Xiao's servants appeared so respectful in front of Bai Yu Yan, they were forced to acknowledge Madame Lu's power. She was the legitimate wife of Lu Tong Xiao, their master and the most powerful man in the entire kingdom.

Standing at the back, Gui Momo and Fan Lu looked at each other's faces which held equal astonishment. Their eyes seemed to silently communicate with each other. Gui Momo silently squeezed Fan Lu's hands as if reassuring her of something.

"Miss, the servant is saying that tonight His Excellency will be coming to Autumn Courtyard," said Xiao Fan with excitement. Not only did he send all these treasures to Bai Yu Yan for everyone to see but he would also be visiting her at night. To everyone, he was indirectly telling them of Bai Yu Yan's importance.

Bai Yu Yan looked at her grinning maid. "If he is coming tonight, why do you look so happy?" she asked Xiao Fan with a chuckle.

"Miss, don't tease Xiao Fan. You know what I mean. Since you have not heard these servants gossip you don't know that their respect for you is only superficial. But look at their faces now. Their dropped chins can clean the floor." Xiao Fan scoffed at them. She didn't tell her Miss in fear that she would worry about it but working alongside these servants, Xiao Fan knew well how they talked behind the back.

Bai Yu Yan didn't feel anything hearing Xiao Fan. She couldn't care any less of what the servants thought of her as long as they did their job. But it seems the news about her courtyard had already reached his ears. Turning back to her room, she ordered, "Go and tell the kitchen to prepare dinner for two. Also, add more dishes than usual."

Xiao Fan nodded her head and happily ran towards the kitchen.

The night came with the darkening of the sky from grey to black. Bai Yu Yan laid on the couch near the window and looked outside at the stars. It was well past dinner time and Lu Tong Xiao had still not arrived. Her stomach was protesting in hunger and she didn't know if he was coming anymore or not.

She tiredly rubbed her flat belly and grumbled to herself. Did the man really think he could make her wait just with a few gold taels? Lying flat on the couch she looked up at the ceiling and decided to wait some more. Finally unable to bear it anymore, pushing herself up from the couch, she was about to order Xiao Fan to brew some tea to soothe her growling stomach when the door opened from outside.

Bai Yu Yan stretched her head to see if it was Xiao Fan when a pair of long legs stepped in. Bai Yu Yan's eyes followed it up to see a handsome face reflected under the dim light of her room. Her eyes halted on those mesmerizing eyes that briefly lightened when it fell on her. Everyone liked beautiful things and she was no exception. Every time she saw this man whom the Gods had taken extra time to mold, she couldn't help but silently admire. She had worked with numerous world-famous models but none of them could hold a candle to him.

Lu Tong Xiao looked at his wife who was openly studying him with her big eyes. He saw that she had still not changed to a sleeping gown and seemed to be waiting for him. Thinking about it, although there was a little guilt, the sweetness stirring inside slowly faded away all his tiredness.

"You haven't eaten yet?" His cold voice softened slightly.

Bai Yu Yan mentally rolled her eyes. How could she eat by herself when she was told he would be eating with her? A little angry, she refused to answer him but her stomach answered his question.

Lu Tong Xiao, who received the answer from her growling stomach, coughed to hide his awkwardness. How could he not sense his little wife's anger even if she didn't openly express it? He thought she looked like a sulking little cat waiting for the food near its empty plate.

When he realized his thoughts, Lu Tong Xiao was rendered speechless by his own imagination. Averting his gaze, he suppressed the light tickle in his heart and ordered the servants, "Lay the table and bring in the dishes."

Outside, Xiao Fan was waiting to hear it. She had been intentionally not going inside in fear that her Miss would be tempted to call her for food. His Excellency was coming to their courtyard for the first time, so how could she allow her Miss to eat before his arrival? Apologizing in her heart to her Miss, she had quietly stood outside until Lu Tong Xiao arrived.