The institution episode 33

****

Liam washed his face using a running water from a sink in the Trance FM's restroom.  Then he looked into the mirror remembering the gun shot.
He wished he could skip Jafartalk for the night. He wasn't really in his normal frame of my mind. He was sad and angry at the same time.

In order to satisfy some sort of curiosity, Elsie went over to Club Babylon. She had no idea why she was there, it seemed like a terrible idea but she went anyway.
Elsie moved to the bar stand then she smiled at a mature bartender, Mike Ohakam. "What do you want?" He asked, "Do you have anything non alcoholic?" She asked, "Water" He answered and they both chuckled.
"My name is Elsie Martins, sorry Betty, I meant Betty Martins" she lied and he scoffed.
"I know that the first rule of the game, using an alias but it wasn't smooth." "Was it that obvious that I was lying?"
What are you doing here? You don't look like the kind of girl to be in a place like this"
"I've been hearing of this place and I just decided to give it a try" she answered then he glanced at Bisi who was scowling at him.
"I'm not supposed to talk to customers but if you want my advice, this club is not for people like you. I'll suggest you turn back before you get noticed"
"Why would I get noticed?"
"The innocent ones usually gets noticed"
"Do I look that innocent?"
"You remind me of my little sister" he whispered and then she asked for a glass of water.
Elsie went over to a table at the extreme side of the club. There was a woman there too, who happened to be in tears, she seemed drunk too.
"What happened?" Elsie asked and Chinwe rolled her eyes.
"Asewo work just taya me"
"Why are you still here then? Why did  you do it at first?"
"Cause when i small, I no face book, I being dey face money  and man. Some of us no wish to do this thing sha. We no get choice, some of us needs job"
"There are jobs out there, people are now making it through various means, marketing, networking. I went to a conference hosted by the wife of Morris Osagie,"
"The other candidate apart from Benson?"
"Yes and he's not just the other candidate; he's the right candidate"
"Shh!" She looked around making sure no one heard what she said. They don't allow you speak about another political party here oh" 
"That doesn't make sense, were in a democratic state"
"Welcome to club Babylon then"  "What's the deal about this club?" She asked, "It's my first time being to this club"
"Actually it's your first time being to any club" she glanced at the cup of water.
"Is it that obvious?"
"What are you here for? Research?" She asked then she scoffed afterwards. "Are you working for some secret undercover agency or something"
"No. My friend came here, my friend Judith. After weeks her body was found on the street"
"Ehya ... So that babe was your friend. Sorry for the loss but she no being smart"
"What?"
"News na say, she being want steal from Babylon so him send them make them gang rape her, na wetin kill her be that"
"Are you sure?"
"No. But na news around club be that."
"What about Titi James?" She was killed"
"I don't think I know that one, see! A lot of babes don go, some out of carelessness them don die, some don turn to money sef for political ritualist hand"
"Why are you still doing this? It sounds dangerous"
"It's the hustle, some of us are lucky, some aren't but I'm just tired of everything these days. Stop asking questions. That was how Tina was and she started asking questions and more question. Now I hear say she dey run up and down because she steal from Babylon. She go die definitely sha so my dear...Wetin be your name?"
"Betty"
"Betty, anything wey you get for plan, make I just advise you to stop now, go back to your house or to your family before these guys tear your yansh"
"Why would you use that kind of description?"
"They'll poke all sort of things in you till you die of agony"
"That's scary"
"Yes it's scary young lady. I don see girls like una enter this club, many don kpai (die), no be everything them.dey put for social media. I go advise you like big sister to little sister, there's nothing to see here, no job is worth having here, you even look like student; chook head for your book and manage life as you see am"
"Easier to give the advise, why can't you practice it?"
"My time don pass now, you know how old I be?"