10

MUTT
— 10. Dinner Party From Hell

    That afternoon, Rory stood in front of the mirror in her room, eying the dress she wore

That afternoon, Rory stood in front of the mirror in her room, eying the dress she wore. It was black and went down to just above her knees. She wore her high heel boots, which were something her friends even found her wearing in the summer, believe it or not.

Rory walked into the hallway, finding her brother standing there. He wore a white button-down shirt and black jeans. She smiled at the sight of Nico. "You clean up nice," She complimented him in a joking tone.

"So do you," He replied, smiling slightly, "Your inner Kook is showing."

"Shut up," Rory retorted, lightly shoving her brother as they both laughed.

"Let's go," Nico announced in a calm tone. He wrapped an arm around his sister and they both walked out of the house together.

With that, the Reyes siblings left their home, heading to the Northside of town in Nico's car for dinner with the last people they ever wanted to spend their Friday night with.

As they arrived at the address their mother had given them, Nico turned off the car before they got out. They remained silent for a long moment, looking up to see the house their mother now lived in with her family.

It was huge, bigger than the last one they had lived at with their mother before it had burned down.

Rory scoffed, noticing how the mansion still had power. "Fucking Kooks," She muttered under her breath, just before she began to walk up the pathway with Nico following close behind her.

They made it to the door and the Reyes siblings exchanged an uneasy look with each other. "Maybe we should just leave."

Rory turned on her heel, on the verge of walking away when someone opened the front door.

Rory cursed under her breath and turned to face Julian, who had been the one to open the door. "Who let Pogue trash into the house?" He complained, a devilish grin on her face.

"Honey, do not call them that. They are guests," Genevieve spoke up, a tight-lipped smile on her face as she walked over to the door.

"Yeah, honey," Rory mocked, smiling at Julian tauntingly, "We're guests. Haven't you heard?"

"Aurora, don't start," Genevieve scolded Rory, who gave her a look of disbelief, "Dinner hasn't even been served yet."

Rory opened her mouth to argue, only to turn her head to see the pleading look Nico was giving her. She sighed in defeat and turned to look back at her mother. She forced a polite smile on her face and nodded.

"Thank you for inviting us for dinner at your house," Nico spoke up politely as he was allowed into the house alongside his sister.

"Yes, hopefully, you won't burn it down this time," Julian muttered under his breath as he walked away and Rory balled her hand into a tight fist. It took everything within her not to snap at him. Everything.