05 | deja vu

So much more is said in the unsaid

—bridgett devoue

▬▬▬ ✦ ▬▬▬

AUDREY

My dreams were rudely interrupted by an irritating beeping sound that just didn't stop. I reached for my phone—the emitter of that exasperating alarm. 

I peered at the screen. 6:45.  My lips didn't hold back the groan.

What did I even have to wake up so early for?

Oh right, my first day of school.

Kicking the soft white sheets off my body, reluctantly, I dragged myself out of bed and made it to the bathroom without collapsing.  I faced the mirror. Staring back at me and yawning, was a sleep-deprived zombie with a frenzy-looking hairdo, looking like she'd just walked out of a horror film. The extremely indifferent look in her eyes could be described in three words: Done with everything.

Well girl, if you're already feeling this way, you're in for a rough day.

I ended that weird internal conversation with myself and began making myself presentable for school, which was going to take up a lot of effort.

I showered, combed my stubborn knots of hair, and tied them up into a low bun— before pulling out two random straps of hair to provide me with some security from all the intimidating individuals I'd encounter today at school—and sprinkled myself with the perfume I had been using for years. It was my favorite: jasmine and rose.

Not having enough energy to be concerned about my outfit, I started taking out the first clothes that my eyes fell upon. Unfolding a white T-shirt, I held it at arm's length discovering an all caps quote that read: NOT A CARE IN THE WORLD.

Perfect. It represented exactly how I felt at the moment, in case the look in my eyes wasn't enough to express that.

Jumping into a black denim skirt and my good old high-top Chuck Taylors, I stormed downstairs before I was late for school.

I hadn't been aware that I was hungry until I reached the kitchen that was giving off the lovely smell of my mother's cooking. 

My mother, the person that had been through the worst but always brought out the best in me and Hailey. I practically owed everything to her. It amazed me how a person who'd been through so much could still be so strong, loving and full of life. The smooth waves of her chestnut hair— identical to mine but shorter— were secured in a low ponytail as she whipped something in a bowl.

"Oh, hello honey! Wasn't expecting you this early," she remarked in a sweet tone when she spotted me.

"Morning, Mom," my voice still sounded raspy from the sleep, "you know, I don't think I have time for breakfast today. I can't be late on my first day." 

She shook her head with a smile. "Oh, Auds. When did you become so restless? You've yet forty minutes before school." Forty? Wow, I had really overcome myself this time. "Besides, how could you say no to waffles with berry compote and fresh cream?"

My stomach growled. She was right, there was no way I could've said no to that.

I climbed on a stool beside the island counter as my mom served me a plate of crispy waffles sprinkled with powdered sugar, sided with delicious looking berry compote and cream. Smiling lazily, I thanked her.

"Is Hailey still sleeping?"

"Oh, you know what a sloth your sister is. Let her be, she's got two more weeks of vacation." I smiled inwardly.