Queen Mary Room B340

When it was docked in Long Beach in 1967, the three third class staterooms were combined into the larger guest room B340, and the reports continued. By the 1980s, B340 was closed to booking because guests would leave in the middle of the night.

That's how I first heard of the haunted stateroom. Over the years, I've heard variations of the story: a man killed his family in the cabin, a woman killed her husband, a husband killed his wife, a lone passenger's throat was cut – the list goes on and on. For some reason, nobody can trace back exactly what happened. The ship's records show nothing happening in any of those rooms.

The legend of B340 was invented in the late '80s or early '90s by employees of the Walt Disney Company, which owned the hotel at the time. A few cast members wanted to scare guests who were asking about one of the yet-unfinished rooms that was unavailable for bookings due to renovations. And so the legend was born.

If the tales are true then unbridled psychokinetic thought-energy would charge the room to cause manifestations of nomadic spirits that, to me, is even cooler than a haunt. But whatever happened in the room to give it its spirited beginnings, there is real activity in there now. Covers have reportedly been pulled off guests while sleeping, clothes hangers rattle, footsteps can be heard, as can knocks, and more. And for the first time since the '80s, the room is finally open to check-ins.

In the first week since the room was open to reservations, there have been 40 bookings. The stateroom has been entirely redone and opened to guests as of Friday the 13th of April. And, aside from its being haunted, it is just a beautifully redone room.

The space is warm and comforting, with modern amenities and classic elegance

The space is warm and comforting, with modern amenities and classic elegance. It's hard to imagine being scared in that room because it is so nice. To enhance the scary quota, the stateroom features some spooky extras – a Ouija board, tarot cards, ghost-hunting equipment and electric candles and the walls are covered with pictures of ghosts and stories of guests' encounters. My favorite aspect is in the bathroom where directions for summoning Bloody Mary are printed on the wall between the hair dryer and the individually wrapped small soaps.

The room is available for booking now, but reservations are way in advance due to so much interest in the stateroom. Rates start from $499 per night and it promises to be a night you will never forget.

 Rates start from $499 per night and it promises to be a night you will never forget