Step One

TEXAS

Arriving in Texas, Scarlett stared out the stagecoach window. The story was they were just passing through town and had decided to stay for the week to give Scarlett a rest, claiming she would get weak from traveling too long. At least after a long argument they agreed to let her use her own name, claiming it would just confuse her on times she would need to focus. Her hair was up in a fancy hairdo, even a small hat to block out a small portion of the sun. Sam was well dressed as well since they would have to convince the Texans that he was indeed a businessman. Now the story with Charles and Jasper where they were cousins to Sam and Henry was Scarlett's cousin come to make sure that they got to where they needed to go.

There was dust everywhere, not much of a change there. The people barely paid attention to them as they came into town. The stagecoach stopped right before the hotel in town. There were two hotels, one that was for the hourly working class, such as ladies of the night, and the fancy hotel where they would be stay. They mean Sam and Scarlett. The others would stay at the first hotel so they would not draw attention.

The door opened and Sam stepped outside, he offered his hand to Scarlett who smiled as she took it and stepped out of the stagecoach and onto the main dirt road of the town. The place had people, they all stared for just a moment before turning to mind their own business. Sam tucked her arm into place right through his hooked arm. Jasper and Charles helped Henry unload the luggage that Sam and Scarlett would need at the fancy hotel.

Walking up to the main desk of the hotel, Sam smiled as he talked to the manager of the establishment and told him the story of them just passing through but would need a room for at least a week, to allow his new wife to rest before continuing the journey. The manager smiled and assured Sam that the hotel they would be staying in was one of the finest and ensured him that Scarlett would get a good night's rest there. Paying with the money Jasper had given him, Sam was then handed the key.

Once finally in the room, Scarlett and Sam both flopped onto the bed and groan.

"Well, step one seemed to work out just fine." Sam chuckled.

"Step one was the easiest, we had the money, so he had no reason to turn us away." Scarlett said as she sat up and Henry sat a random piece of luggage at her feet. "You guys sure you'll be ok at the other hotel?"

"Yes Scarlett, you need to remember that it's not as bad as you th-" Charles started as they heard a gunshot coming from outside.

Running to the window, they all saw three men and two women running out of the other hotel. One of the men had a gun and seemed to be threatening not only the women but the other man as well. Raising her eyebrow, Scarlett turned and looked to Charles.

"You were saying Charles?" she challenged him with one look.

"We'll keep an eye out for each other Scar, just trust us. We have to figure out a way to get you and Sam into the fancy dress party." Henry sighed before taking a seat in a nearby chair.

"Easy, fancy paper here. I'll write a letter claiming to be missing true society and the thrill of a party and have it mistakenly sent to that wretched man's woman of choice." Scarlett smiled as she went to the writing desk.

"Sometimes, it scares me how she comes up with things." Sam commented as he sat up on the bed.

"Imagine what she was like as a kid." Henry interrupted.

"I don't want to; I am married to her and yet I fear her." Sam retorted.

Scarlett smiled and handed the letter to Henry.

"I trust you with this task more than I would any of them, don't fail me Henry. I promise this will be the hardest task I give to you." Scarlett said placing the letter in his hand.